Thirty Eight

"So I've had a bit of a shitty day."

Mingyu sighs, crossing his hands over his stomach as he lays out across the chair in the hospital room. He pulls his navy coat over him to put up a barrier between himself and the icy breeze from the open window. Dr. Jeon had strictly told him not to shut it. I'm pretty sure you should be trying to keep him warm but alright.

"So, first of all, my asshat of a house mate decided that it's be a good idea to wake me up at 6:00am this morning. 6AM!! I swear to god, him getting up that early is not fricking normal. Especially since he was out late last night with all of his friends. Originally, he asked if I wanted to join in, but I couldn't be bothered. And anyway, that's not exactly my thing anymore."

He stretched his arms out like a cat above his head, letting out a groan before a painful yawn. "Fuck me," he mutters to himself, rubbing at his red eyes. He glances over at Soonyoung, and watches his peaceful face as he sleeps.

"I did go out though. I went for a drive and then walked along the boardwalk and down to the beach. The beach is really pretty at night - when you wake up, out whole group should go. I bet it's beautiful at sundown."

Under the cover, Soonyoung's toes curl in to get rid of the numbing sensation. He licks his dry lips.

"But then as I was walking back, I kept feeling like I was being watched. It must've been a bird or something, there was an owl out. But it started to get weirder. I was driving and the car behind me seemed to be following me. It never got any closer or farther away and I even tried the whole take four right runs or whatever and they only stopped trailing me when I pulled into the the driveway." He pulls the coat further over himself and crosses his arms over his chest.

"Following you?"

Mingyu's head snaps up so quickly feels his neck click. On the bed, one of Soonyoung's eyes is open and staring at him- the other is still screwed tightly shut against the bright light.

The elder grins lopsidedly, "'Sup dude."

Suddenly, Mingyu grins, "You bastard. You nearly gave me a heart attack." Soonyoung winks and gives him a lopsided smirk.

Before Mingyu can say anything else, Dr Jeon pushes through the door again with his head down as he reads through some appears attached to the neon green clipboard. When he looks up, a smile breaks out on his face.

"Soonyoung! Glad to see you're awake, how long since you woke up?"

"About thirty seconds," Soonyoung replies, his voice croaky and groggy. He watches as Wonwoo immediately starts fiddling with the equipment around him.

"How are you feeling?"

Soonyoung huffs, "Like a plank of fucking wood."

"I'm not surprised," Wonwoo laughs, "You've been out for a good few days."

"Well, there's one person who'll be very happy to see you awake," the doctor looks down at Soonyoung as he takes a deep breath.

"Jihoon," he says, almost as if he's testing how the name feels coming from his mouth, "Can you not tell him?" He finally asks, staring at Wonwoo hopefully.

His face switches instantly to one of confusion, "Why not? He'll be happy to see you're okay."

"I just... I want to tell him when I'm ready."

"Are you sure?" He looks apprehensive.

Soonyoung tugs on his jacket, "Pleeaaaaaase Wonwoo, do this one thing for me. Give me two visits and he'll know by then. Promise."

Wonwoo looks hesitant at first, but eventually rolls his eyes, "Fine."

After he leaves again, Mingyu turns to Soonyoung, astounded.

The older cuts him off, "And you do t get to tell him either."

"Wha- why not? Why don't you want to tell him?!"

"It's my secret and you'll find out soon enough. Now, zip it." Soonyoung pinches his fingers together in front of Mingyu's mouth, and the younger sighs in exasperation. "Thank you. I would tell you why, but you have a big mouth and I don't want the whole world to know."

Mingyu nods. "Jesus, I don't know how I put up with you for so long."

Soonyoung chuckles lightly, "Anyway, enough of that. You said you were being followed?"

Mingyu sighs deeply, "Yeah, the guy in the front had his hood up and it was too dark to see his face, but he stayed behind me at the exact same distance and I could feel his eyes on the back of my head. It was really creepy," he grimaces.

"Just watch your back, okay? You know, I'm not gonna be there to protect you for a while and we both know you wouldn't survive a fight without me," Soonyoung grins, every inch of teasing he had packed into that one sentence. Mingyu laughed, holding back a harsh joke.

"Don't you dare," It's almost like Soonyoung senses the oncoming taunt, and he glares at his companion.

Mingyu holds his hands up, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Feeling the stiffness in his joints, Soonyoung gives Mingyu one last glower before flopping back down onto his bed and staring at the ceiling, the last traces of their laughter fading from his face.