Twenty Seven

For the first time in weeks, the sun shines brightly over the city.

It's like winter has ceased to exist, like spring and summer are all the world has ever known. The warmth reflects on the life, too. Everywhere you look, colour bursts out at you. The whole scene is an over processed picture: it almost seems unreal in its sharpness.

And despite this, Soonyoung can't help but wish for winter to come back again.

He can feel the sweat trickling down his neck even though he's only wearing jeans and a t-shirt. His skin burns under the powerful rays shooting down onto him. The brightness stings his eyes as if he hasn't slept in days and his breathing is constricted and shallow.

Soonyoung really hates summer.

That's the thing - it's not even summer. It's a cold day at the start of winter that should be chilly and cosy and leave you aching to be cuddled up in front of the fire but instead Soonyoung wants to sleep in the freezer.

The only positive thing coming from today is the person sitting next to him.

After reaching the unexpectedly crowded park, Jihoon and Soonyoung snatch the last bench and fling themselves across it - not leaving any room for anyone to join them.

The two of them sit happily side by side, leaning back against the bench. Soonyoung watches a boy he vaguely recognises smile the widest smile he's ever seen. The boy holds his bare arms out under the sun and basks in it, looking oddly content at the annoyingly hot weather.

Where do I know him from?

Soonyoung shakes his head, unable to place the boy's face to a memory. Oh well, he sighs.

Leaning back, he spreads his arms out over the back of the bench, and he accidentally brushes his hand over Jihoon's shoulder. The younger looks at him in surprise, to which Soonyoung replies with a small, "Sorry."

They fall into an awkward silence, before Jihoon decides he's had enough and jumps to his feet. "Come on," he says, "Sitting on a bench all day is boring."

He grabs Soonyoungs hand and pulls him up, putting all of his strength into it. When he doesn't budge, Jihoon glowers at him, "At least try to humour me please."

Soonyoung cracks a smile, "It's impossible."

"Bitch! Hurry up and get your arse off the bench. Let's go on the swings."

Jihoon yells in joy as he flies higher and higher, propelling himself high above the rest of the park. He can see the tips of trees and the top of the ice cream cone balanced on the sickeningly bright truck.

"Fuck!" He screams as one push sent him nearly flying from the seat. Eventually he starts laughing instead, ignoring the disapproving looks from parents.

"Soonyoung, push me higher!" He shouts, twisting in the precarious seat to find his companion.

Soonyoung stands below him, staring up at the small boy with his hands in his hips. What a child, he thinks.

"Soonyoung!" He hears his name called again and rolls his eyes, begrudgingly giving into Jihoon's pleas and beginning to push him further.

"Any higher and you'll spin over the top," he mutters so that the younger doesn't hear him.

Finally Jihoon stops being a daredevil with a death wish and allows Soonyoung to halt the swing. But when the former gets off, he feels his legs turn to jelly and yelps, instantly grabbing Soonyoung's arm to hold himself up.

"I swear to god you are literally a child. I'll say it now and I'll never stop saying it."

With Jihoon barely walking as he recovers from the effervescent flying, Soonyoung has no choice but to lift the smaller onto his own back, finding it easy enough with his light weight. At first Jihoon tried to tell him to put him down, but the older objects and points out that he can hardly walk.

Finally Jihoon gives in and agrees to go back to the café.

"That was fun.." he mutters as they leave the dimming park behind.