Twenty Nine

Jaehyun sighs dramatically.

For the entirety of the Friday night, he's barely focused on his conversation with Jihoon, who rolls his eyes watching the younger stare dreamily at the guy sitting across the room.

Taeyong's electric blue hair stands out in a million people, with the black band pushing it back from his forehead and the stylish, thick-rimmed glasses perched carelessly on his nose. Even Jihoon's jaw had dropped at the sight of him.

But now the presence of the man is beginning to annoy Jihoon. With less than five minutes until his set, all the guy wants is a chill conversation with Jaehyun that isn't constantly interrupted by Taeyong's gaze flickering over.

Getting bored, Jihoon finally disrupts Jaehyun's daydream.

"Jaehyun! Hey!" He yells, waving his hand in front of the younger's face.

Instead of looking at him, Jaehyun glances behind him to the doorway, where Jihoon faintly hears the creaking and footsteps of someone entering plus the chill creeping in from outside.

"Odd seeing you here," Hoseok leans beside him, smirking.

Having never particularly liked Hoseok, Jihoon gives him the cold shoulder with a simple and blunt reply, "Come every Friday and it'll be odd to not see me here."

But Hoseok, having obviously had a couple of drinks at another place before arriving, didn't quite grasp the coldness of Jihoon's tone. "So, what're you up to? You don't seem like the bar type."

"Shut up and you'll find out," Jihoon mutters as he stands up. He goes to nod to Jaehyun, but gives up when he finds him pushing in the opposite direction towards the blue haired customer. He turns and walks towards the back of the pub, stepping onto the little ledge via the cracked crate used as a flimsy makeshift step and looks over the crowd.

He sees Jaehyun attempting to flirt with Taeyong, who only looks partially interested; Hoseok sipping another beer mindlessly; a small girl sitting at the other end at a small table - probably been dragged here by her father, who is slowly making his way towards her with drinks and crisps in hand - reading a book; and a familiar person just entering.

Wonwoo smiles when he sees Jihoon on stage. He gives him a small wave and quickly disappears upstairs.

Almost robotic, as if it's been drummed into his head, Jihoon sits down, pulls his guitar onto his lap, adjusts the mic, and starts to sing.

There's a new crowd tonight, thanks to a party who had booked the upstairs room with at least forty guests.

At first, the group look disheartened by the performer, thinking he's just a little kid hoping to make it big with no real talent. Well, they got the first bit right. However, the moment Jihoon starts to sing, their eyes widen and their mouths hang open.

Jihoon smirks seeing this - he loves surprising people. He carries on and even adjust his set list slightly to include his best - purely to prove the older group of people wrong.

Despite loving the attention whilst on stage, the people crowding him as he tries to leave an hour later chokes him, and Jihoon feels himself coming close to tears because they don't let him leave. Sure, it's all compliments and praise, but Jihoon just doesn't want it.

He feels his head begin to swim. He puts a hand in front of him and tries to barge through, ignoring the people. But because he happens to be so much smaller than the lunging crowd, he struggles to make it through.

Suddenly the soft lights above his head are blinding and garish. And they seem to be speeding towards him...

As his vision fades, a strong hand reaches through and grabs him, pulling him away and out of the hustling building.

The hand turns into an arm, then another, and soon a full body is in front of him before it turns to hold him tightly.

He didn't realise he started crying.

Jihoon doesn't know why, but the crowd suddenly became too much. Normally, the audience were too drunk after his set to offer any praise but this time, they weren't. And it made Jihoon feel ill.

When the merry go round finally lets his head go free, he glances up at his saviour.

Wonwoo still holds him tightly in an embrace, and though from the outside it could look affectionate, the both of them know that if Wonwoo lets go, Jihoon will collapse in a heap on the floor.

"Are you okay?" Wonwoo's voice is soft and calming.

Jihoon gulps, "Yeah, thanks..."

Standing out on the dark pavement, Jihoon stiffens noticeably when headlights flash past them, his arms clutch at Wonwoo's coat like it's his life source. Gently, the older pries Jihoon's grip off and takes a step back. Rubbing his head, Jihoon sways from side to side - but instead of lightheadedness, Jihoon imagines he's dancing. Dancing to a song he made a few years ago. He slowly relaxes.

Then comes the awkward silence. After all, what could you say to your doctor who stopped you from dying and then pulled you from a place where you nearly collapsed?

Uhhh, maybe a thank you?

Jihoon laughs nervously, scratching the back of his neck, "Thanks Wonwoo..."

Wonwoo smiles, "You've said that already."

"N-no.. I mean, for all of it..." the younger trails off, still feeling groggy and floundering.

The doctor doesn't reply directly: "Good luck," is all he says with a warming smile before Wonwoo turns on his heels and leaves.

And Jihoon is left alone. Standing in the street with his guitar on his back and no quick way to get home. It's cold, and the wind bites through his jumper as he stands, unsure, almost waiting for someone else to help.

Fuck it Jihoon you're a grown ass man just walk for gods sake.

But I don't want to walk.

"Hey, Jihoon!"

Oh fuck off.

He turns around, "What do you want, Hoseok? Just because I helped you with Yoongi doesn't mean we're all friendly with each other now. You're still an asshole."

Hoseok whistles, "Damn, that's harsh." He pauses for a second, "Do you want to borrow my bike to get home? I have friends that can take me," the elder offers, but Jihoon purses his lips.

"I'm good, I'll walk."