1 / Midnight

Rose stared at herself in the cracked mirror, pushing her hair behind her ears to reveal her cheekbones which were growing more gaunt by the day. The gash above her eyebrow was fading which she noticed as she tilted her head to the side, letting the sunlight from the narrow window fall upon it. She rolled her shoulders, placing her hands on her lower back, arching forward in an effort to relieve some of the pain. She had been working all day. The ends of her dress were still soaked from kneeling on the floor, the fabric somehow always seeming to find its way into the sudsy water. A faint smile grew on her face as she pulled the ends up, bunching the thick cream fabric in her fist. Her bare feet felt cool with the sudden rush of air. What would the others say if they knew she was barefoot? Her smile widened at the thought, although she knew she didn't care. She preferred being barefoot anyway. Her feet had outgrown her shoes sometime ago and although she knew her request for new ones would never be denied, she enjoyed the feeling of the marble floors underneath her. It helped her feel grounded. Reminded her she was alive.

A soft knock on the door pulled her attention away from the mirror. Not many people knocked. In fact, not many people came to her door anyway. She jumped away from where she was standing, pushing her hair to her face again and busying herself with the books on the shelf, adjusting them in some way so as to look like she had been doing something.

"Rosie?" Ella poked her head around the door, smiling when her eyes landed on her friend. She took in her appearance. Rose's dark skin, her hair that never seemed to do as it was told. She was taller than some but shorter than most, an average height at best. While she once had been a healthy size, her clothes now hung from her like large empty sacks. A silver chain hung around her neck, coated so that it would not burn. Ella knew that despite Rose's efforts to keep it hidden, the others knew it was there. And though the girls would have thought otherwise, no one cared to take it from her. Everyone knew the necklace belonged to the girl's mother. And her mother had been much loved by many. 

Rose turned Ella and simply smiled in response, waiting for the girl to tell her what she had come here for.

"We need you in the kitchen. He'll be arriving soon."

Rose nodded, one sharp inclination of her head before turning to the mirror and brushing down her skirts. She closed her eyes for a moment, allowing herself to take in a breath of air. She would need that one moment of peace to hold onto when she entered the busyness of the kitchen. 

The Alpha King had eyes of midnight blue

The Alpha King had eyes of midnight blue. It was perhaps the one thing about him that people most commented on. Never his strength, his courage, the decisions he made. No, people often found themselves conversing about the colour of his eyes. They could see not where he had gotten the palette from for his eyes did not seem to match the rest of him. The colour itself seemed odd for his complexion. But the shape of them was perhaps even odder. His eyes were large and rounded, starkly contrasted by the sharp definitions of the rest of his face. They were deep set and according to many, the only way to read his emotion. Rumours said that the reason his eyes were the way they were could only be found in whispers from the Moon Goddess. Those who claimed to have contact with her had often mentioned that she had sent the future King such eyes so that people would know who he was when he was in wolf form. His opponents would stare into his eyes and know they were facing the Alpha King. Standing in front of him now, all three in their wolf forms, Jane and Daniel could see this to be true. The Alpha King stood, his head held proudly. But the only thing differentiating his black wolf from their own was his midnight blue eyes. 

"You have to be quick." Daniel's voice filled his head through the mind link. The King didn't even respond before turning and beginning his run.

They had been travelling for days and the warriors that kept easy pace beside him were thankful for the opportunity to run. The forrest was thick in this part of the kingdom, making the exercise that much better as there were logs to jump and leaves to sprint through.

Overhead, the faint idea of nighttime was beginning to appear, the sky hinting at darkness.

The King knew it was time to turn back. He knew that they had to move on. They'd promised the Alphas that they'd arrive before the moon came up and there was still some time left on their journey. The Assumption Building lay a great distance from the palace, intended to be built on equal ground for all Alphas. This, however, meant that the King had a long journey anytime one of these meetings were held.

He was glad they were rare. The Alpha King was not a fan of travelling.