9 / Stitches

As soon as the Alpha was gone, a silence fell across the room. Rose cursed herself for the way she cowered on the floor, the way her heart only slowed when she knew for sure he was gone. 

But he terrified her. 

Somewhere in her mess of thoughts, she remembered that the King was standing in front of her. Her brain screamed to apologise, to beg for mercy in some shape or form. She had heard he was ruthless. That he would kill someone for simply burning his toast. And yet, her words wouldn't work. 

She closed her eyes, giving herself five seconds. Just five seconds to feel her fear. And once the five seconds were up, she opened them again and lifted her head.

The King was staring back at her. 

"Are you...alright?" His comfortable demeanour was gone. The man before her seemed completely different from the one only minutes earlier and his stoic expression left her unsettled. 

Rose nodded. 

The King furrowed her eyebrows and frowned. For a moment, Rose was afraid she'd done something wrong. 

"You should stand." He said. "I haven't bandaged your cut yet and you'll get dizzy if you keep bowing your head."

Rose realised then that she wasn't quite sure if her legs would work.

She was about to speak when movement caught her eye. Alex stepped into view. 

The King made a move towards him but Alex held his hands up. "I apologise, your Majesty. But I heard the fuss and if it's quite alright with you, I'd like to check on Rose. She hasn't eaten in some time and, to be honest, I'm a little worried." 

The King watched him before nodding once. 

As Alex walked towards Rose, the King grabbed his arm. Lowering his voice so that only he could hear, he asked, "Why is she an omega?" 

Alex studied the King's face, looking anywhere but his eyes. He knew why he was asking the question, of course. Omegas were not common in their lands. Being an omega usually meant you had done something wrong. It was almost akin to receiving the death penalty in many packs. Reserved for only the cruelest of criminals. 

Taking a deep breath, Alex prayed to the Moon Goddess that the man wouldn't have his head. "I think that's something you should ask her, Your Majesty. But she's a good person, if that's what you're asking. She did no wrong." 

Alex knew that the King was studying his eyes, searching for some sign of a lie. Satisfied in finding none, the King released his grip on the boys arm. 

Rose was standing by the time Alex reached her. Her legs felt shaky but she refused to show weakness. 

"How're you feeling?" Alex's hands hovered by her back as she walked to the table. Rose smiled over her shoulder.

"Good." 

Alex moved to lower his hands, thinking Rose was about to sit but instead, she reached across the table and picked up the dirty plate. Alex sighed. 

"What are you doing?" 

"I'm cleaning, Alex." Rose's tone sounded as if it should have been obvious. 

"Yes, I can see that. But why?" 

"Because it's my job." Rose grabbed the counter as she passed, hoping to seem nonchalant so that no one would notice how faint she felt. 

Alex wanted to argue with her. He wanted to tell her that it wasn't her job. That a job is something you get paid to do, that you choose to do. But he knew it wasn't worth it. That was an argument that would fall on deaf ears. 

Hands made Rose freeze and both she and Alex were suddenly aware of the King's presence once more. Alex briefly thought it odd how a man so powerful could blend into the background so easily. 

"Stop." His voice was gruff as he took the plate from Rose's hands and spun her in the other direction. "And sit." 

Rose complied. It felt as if her body wouldn't let her disobey. 

"Alex," he said, turning to the boy. Rose was surprised he knew his name. She had only said it once. Had he really been paying that good attention? "Please would you run to my floor and grab my first aid kit? It should be in my warrior's base room. "

Alex nodded, hesitating for just a brief moment to stare at Rose. "I won't eat her, I promise." Rose stared at the King, her eyes like saucers. Alex realised the joke first and gave a polite chuckle before leaving. 

Rose took in the man in front of her. He was nothing like how she'd imagined the Alpha King would be. His smile was crooked, his eyes soft and there was something in them that made her feel like he was trying to get her to smile, too. 

She almost did but cast her eyes downwards instead. 

"I'm sorry for speaking out of turn, but I'd like to apologise, Your Alpha Majesty. My behaviour earlier was highly unacceptable." 

She was waiting for the anger but instead, all she heard was a low chuckle. 

"That's quite the mouthful of a title." He said. Then, tipping her chin up to look at him he said, "Rose. Do I look angry?" Rose considered him for a moment before shaking her head. "Good. Because I'm not. In fact, I'm grateful. You were very good to me and you didn't even know my position. If I was to be angry about anything it would be your willingness to let yourself get into more trouble." 

Rose let herself smile a little. She wondered once more how she hadn't known it was him. Sitting in front of her now, the power radiated off him in waves. It was almost suffocating. 

Before she could possibly work up the courage to even consider asking, Alex returned with the first aid box.

And with that, the King set about fixing her wounds while Alex made Rose some food under his orders. The King told him to keep some back for himself, too. 

The night continued like that in silence before the King's eyes glazed over. 

"I'm afraid I must go. It seems my presence has been missed on my floor and my warriors might just burst in here full wolf any minute." He nodded to Rose. "You should be all set. If anyone gives you trouble for tonight, you know where to find me."

And with that, he was gone.