16 / Help

Rose slumped in relief, her whole body giving up the fight it had so desperately been trying to win. The Alpha King was here, he'd seen her. He'd help, right? He had done it once before, Rose reminded herself. He would do it again. Right?

Doubt gave way to pain. It seeped into each pore of her body, filling every inch of her so that it felt like she was burning in the fire of ten thousand knifes. If she had been in the right state of mind she would have scolded herself. This pain was inevitable, it should have been at the forefront of her brain. Why had she not readied herself ?

Why had she come.

The king took a moment to steady himself. Then, "Bring her inside."

The head guard lowered his sword. "But sire-" he stopped himself short, bowing his head instead. The Alpha King stood back, making room for the guards to pass. Once inside, he shut the door, nodding towards the bed that stood in the centre of the room.

"Put her on the bed. Lyons go and get the first aid kit, Jacobs some clean water and a towel." The two guards nodded and left as the king turned his attention to the head guard. His stare was enough to communicate his message and the sword that still hung from the guard's hand returned to its sheath. "Make your way downstairs and find a boy named Alex. Bring him here, tell him it's about Rose. He'll know." The guard hesitated, shooting a look in Rose's direction. "Now."

The pair were only alone for a moment. The king had not even had the chance to move from his place by the door when it was slammed open once more.

"What the fuck is going on?"

The king turned to face his beta.

"Zachariah."

Zachariah winced at the screaming and the king raised a brow before realising he still had it tuned out. He refocused his mind, hearing the pain filled sounds once more.

Rose's attention was captured by the voice of the newcomer. Through her pain, she heard it, until her mind was taken once more. She tried to keep her attention on the pair.

With great effort, the screams died down; turning instead into strangled sobs. "Yo-Your Highness." The works came out between gasps. The men turned their attention to the girl, now tangled in the bedsheets. Zachariah took a step in front of the King, a low growl rising from him.

The King tried to soften his voice. "I'll be with you in a moment."

There was silence in the room, save for Rose's cries and she considered that they were speaking through the mindlink.

"That's her?" Zachariah's voice broke through.

Rose shifted her gaze to him in confusion as the King set him a hard stare.

A new wave of pain washed over the girl and the screams began again.

He was at her bedside in an instant. Unsure of what else to do, he pulled the nearby chair over and sat in it, placing his hand on her arm.

Some warning sounded from Zachariah but the King ignored it.

Something in his touch was numbing. It felt as though a wave had come and was washing away the pain. The feeling made her body relax, before her mind followed suit and before long, Rose descended into darkness.