6 / Food

The stranger studied her for a moment or two, searching her expression as Rose often did to others. And then, he said the one thing she'd most hoped he wouldn't. "You're bleeding." 

Rose froze to the spot, panic rushing over her. "It's nothing." 

The stranger's gaze didn't leave her as silence fell between them once more. 

"I never asked your title." Rose realised out loud, her attempt to change the subject not going unnoticed. "I don't know how I should address you." 

"It's of no significance." He sounded elsewhere. 

"You said you were otherwise occupied the last few days. What exactly did you mean?" 

Rose glanced down at the table again. "It's of no significance." She looked back up to see a glare on his face. "Why should I tell you anyway?" 

The stranger opened his mouth as if to speak but closed it once more. Then, "At least tell me who did it to you." 

Rose simply shook her head, leaving out the fact that doing so would most likely get her killed. 

"Was it an Alpha?" 

Rose found herself standing up. "I really do think you should go. We're not supposed to be down here past curfew and you've already caused enough trouble."

He raised an eyebrow. "Trouble?" 

Rose immediately regretted her words. She had tried to be kind and now all her good work would be undone. 

"Never mind." Her voice was quiet. 

"No, do please tell." 

"It's nothing...it's just...I shouldn't have even said it. I apologise, I was frustrated." 

"Well, it certainly sounds like it's something."  

A soft smirk fell onto Rose's face as she considered how childish this was. Their petty argument was interrupted by another rumble from Rose's stomach. 

"If you're not going to let me look at that wound, you're going to eat something. It's one or the other." The stranger challenged, a slightly triumphant smile growing o his face. 

Rose huffed in feint annoyance. She knew she should eat something but she didn't want to get in trouble. But then, one more small piece of food wouldn't be caught missing, right? 

"Fine. I'll get something to eat." 

Rose found her way to a cupboard and reached her hand as far back as she could, to that which resided in the dusty corners. But all she could find were some cans of soup and sauces which she knew weren't a possible option. She heard herself sigh before closing her eyes, taking a deep breath as if she could suck some semblance of courage from the room. 

She knew it was stupid, to be so scared of getting something to eat. But she'd already taken some food for the strange and the last time she got caught...

A shudder ran up her spine. 

In the end, Rose moved to a barrel in the corner of the kitchen and produced the smallest, most bruised apple she could. On examining it she knew that it was likely that it would just be thrown out anyway, so there was no harm in taking it (or so she told herself.)

"That's hardly all you're going to eat?" The stranger asked incredulously as she held the apple triumphantly in front of him.

She shrugged. "Anything else would probably be noticed." 

The stranger's eyebrows furrowed as Rose realised her mistake. 

"I didn't-"

"-you gave me the food." Rose watched as he put the pieces together in his mind. "You're not supposed to take it? That's the trouble I've caused."

"It's no trouble." Rose's attempt at reassuring him was feeble. "But that's why it was such a strangely put together meal." She added as an afterthought, hoping it might lighten the mood. 

The stranger sighed. "You didn't need to do that." Rose just shrugged. She supposed she didn't.

"I'll make you something." He declared as he moved towards the counters. 

"No!" Rose grabbed his arm as he passed and although she knew she didn't possess the strength to stop him forcefully, his surprise at the action itself was enough to make him stop short in his tracks. He looked down at her small scarred hand which clasped his arm, making her drop the grip immediately. "Please don't. I don't want...I can't get in trouble again." 

The stranger'e eyebrows furrowed. "But you won't. If I make the food, it's on me." 

This time, it was Rose's turn to knit her eyebrows together. Why would he possibly be willing to get in trouble for her? 

"I'm not letting you do that. You don't know what they're like here." 

A soft frown made it's way onto the stranger's face. "Believe me when I say, I'll be fine. I certainly won't get into any trouble and neither will you, as long as I'm here." He nodded his head, trying to make her understand. But the confusion on her face was still clear. "I know the King, remember?" 

Rose thought back to his words earlier, to how he 'technically' arrived with the King. The way he'd said it was so strange...she just hoped she could trust him. 

"Ok." Her voice came out quiet, still not entirely sure of the word she spoke. "But I'm helping."