12 / The Curse

The wind whistled through the treetops, echoing an eerie drone throughout the forrest clearing. Moonlight cascaded across the leaf scattered floor, dropping shadows as it went. It was in the depths of one of these shadows that Luther stood.

His robe was wrapped tightly around him, the thick fabric begging the night chill to leave him be. But the air still left pinpricks on his skin and he found himself wishing that this meeting would just be over.

A soft glow danced out from behind a tree, catching his eye.

Within moments, two more people had joined him. 

The man and woman stopped when they saw him, holding their right palms up to face the sky. 

Luther did the same, stepping out from his shaded safety. 

With that single gesture, their trust was secured. The alliance would be forged. 

Back at the palace, Rose was finding it difficult to sleep

Back at the palace, Rose was finding it difficult to sleep. Things had been quiet, too quiet and she worried that the Alpha's anger would just be building up. She knew him to sometimes be like a dam. All of the water pressing against the structure, waiting to be let out. 

Eventually it's hold would burst and the flood would come. 

She worried that she would be vulnerable in sleep. Her bed was, after all, nearest the door. And with little protection available from the rest of the staff, there was no saying what could happen. And so, she lay awake.

It was in these hours that her thoughts began to wander. She thought of her parents. Of her mother's beautiful singing voice. Of her father's harsh one as he tried to join in. She remembered her sister's laugh, the way her brother would roll his eyes and scoff. The way she herself, in her later years, would wish it would be over because she wanted them to go to bed so that she could read her book under the covers.

She would do anything to hear those sounds again. 

A scream pulled her back to reality.

Ella. 

Rose was at her friend's side in seconds. Ella's hair was clinging to her face, her body shining with sweat. Her breaths came in quick, short bursts and when her eyes shot open, they were filled with fear. 

Between her quick breaths, Ella managed to say two words. "The King." 

Another scream erupted from inside her and Rose began to notice other people waking up. She went through the plan in her head. 

Wake Ella. 

Make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

Calm her down.

Get her to the meeting spot.

Rose realised Ella's breaths were affecting her own as she tried to pull the tangled sheets from around her friend. Closing her eyes for the briefest moment, she forced air into her lungs. 

"El." She hissed. "I need you to get up." 

Ella's screams turned to a low groan. 

"I can't." 

"Yes, you can." Rose's voice was just a hiss. "Come on."

She knew that Ella was already waking people up. If they stated in the room any longer...she shuddered at the thought. 

Ella nodded sluggishly and, as Rose helped her up, she reached above her and pulled on the thin piece of string. 

She hoped the contraption Alex made would work. She needed his help. She needed him to be at the meeting point. 

Sure enough, when the girls finally made it down the corridor and stairs to the lower basements, Alex was ready and waiting.

"What happened?" He asked, running to help Rose carry Ella towards the mountain of blankets in the corner. 

"She had another vision. A strong one. It's causing her pain." 

Alex nodded and set about taking care of Ella. 

"Did she say what it was about?" Alex asked, looking over his shoulder. Rose's stomach dropped.  She was almost afraid to say the words aloud.

Nodding, she finally managed to choke out, "The King." 

Sorry that this took so long to update! I was at a big national science competition (and dying sick) for the past few while and had to do a ton of work for that. 

Now that it's over I should be updating more frequently! 

This is just a teaser..more chapters coming tomorrow!