14 / The Guards

I know I seem to say this a lot but I'm really sorry for being so absent and I am 100% going to try to be better at uploading from here on out. Please continue to like and comment because it really means a lot and helps me to know that people actually want to read this!

Another chapter coming tomorrow!

Lots of love x 

__________

It seemed as if the distance between the top of the stairs and the first guard was a mile long and for a moment, Rose almost considered turning back. But then she remembered the King, his eyes soft and his hands gentle as he stitched her wounds. She remembered his odd mannerisms when speaking to her, how his kindness seemed out of place for his sharp features. And she remembered his power, his title, just what he was to her. And she couldn't be sure if it was because of who he was as a person or who he was with his title but some sense of duty spurred her forward. 

She arrived at the first guard. Fear caused her to falter for just a moment - the briefest speck of time. But that moment was enough and when she finally decided to walk straight past the guard with her head up and her chin out he caught her arm with ease. She cursed herself knowing that her hesitation may have cost her though she soon considered that it may have had no hold at all. 

The guard's grip was tight around her arm and she felt her feet brush the floor as she realised he was holding her higher than she could stand. "Where do you think you're going?" He asked, brining her closer to his face. "Mutt." He added as spit sprayed.

Rose gulped.

Breathe. 

Be bold.

Don't back down. 

The words flowed through her head in quick succession over and over like some sort of mantra.

Breathe.

Be bold.

Don't back down. 

Breathe.

Be bold- eventually she found the courage to follow them. 

"I need to see the Alpha King." 

Another brief moment passed and Rose wondered how such short seconds could define so much. 

The guard was studying her.

He laughed. Rose thought, perhaps, that that was the worst reaction of all. She suppressed a smile as she realised that she would have rathered he yelled. A laugh stung more than any slap to the face.

Breathe.

Be bold.

Don't back down.

Don't back down.

Don't- 

She was about to speak again when she felt him release the hold on her arm. She hit the floor with a painful thud.

"I - I need to see him." 

The guard advanced on her and she pushed herself backwards as she tried to find her legs. 

"Would you like to be the one to tell him that you denied me access?" 

 "Like he'd care that I stopped you.  You have no business here." A smirk found its way to the guard's face. " And besides, who says he ever has to know?" 

She felt the floor dipping beneath her and knew she was nearing the stairs. The distance suddenly felt so much shorter and she wished she had never step foot up there in the first place.

She was pulled up once more. The guards face inched ever closer to her's. She squeezed her eyes shut, too afraid to struggle when she felt the edge of a step beneath her feet. With one last will of strength she said, "He's in danger. The King is in danger."

The guard pulled back. "What did you just say?" 

Her feet collided with the floor as she was pulled back to even ground. 

"The Alpha King is in danger." Each word became more difficult to say, sticking to her throat like treacle. 

The guard's face turned sour. "Is that a threat?" 

The air left Rose's lungs, the treacle stopped her from speaking. 

She couldn't even shake her head. 

The guard raised his hand. Rose knew what was coming next. And while that knowledge struck fear to her being it also created an advantage - an opening. As the guard's hand collided with her face, she threw her body towards the hallway landing. He wanted her to fall to the floor - they always did. And so, he didn't stop her. 

She winced as she hit the floor once more but this time, she didn't let herself freeze. 

Breathe.

Be bold.

Don't back down. 

She rolled to dodge one of his advances before jumping to her feet. All she had to do was make it to his door. But although silent, the other guards had not been blind to the events and a little voice in her mind told her that she had just created an even bigger problem instead of solving one.

"Stop her!" 

Their heads whipped towards her at the sound of the other guard's yell. She spurred her legs onwards trying her best to speed up enough. But the guards were quicker and after one more dodge, she was caught. 

She glanced up to see the Alpha King's door a few steps away and felt a tear prick her eye at how close she'd gotten. Because she knew.

She knew that it wasn't just his safety at stake any more. 

It was hers.