11 / The Run-in

The meeting ended with the Alpha King still unsatisfied with the knowledge of the pack leaders around the table.

When it was finally time for a break, he decided to adjourn the rest of that afternoon's topics until the next day. At least that will give them enough time to learn their shit properly.

He was rounding the corner by the downstairs courtyard when he ran into something, or rather someone.

"Watch where you're-" he cut himself off when he realised who it was. The girl had dropped to the floor immediately and and image from the night before flashed into his brain. It took him a moment to realise that she was chasing the apples she had dropped.

Her hands froze when he took a step towards her. "I'm sorry, You're Alpha Majesty. I wasn't looking where I was going."

"Rose." She noticed he had a habit of testing her name out loud. "It's quite alright. Neither was I." He said, bending down to help her gather a few stray apples. 

"I should be more careful." She murmured before realising that she had said it out of turn. The King just smirked. 

"Perhaps." 

He took her chin with his fingers and tilted it up to look at him, turning her head left and right. 

He huffed a little before saying, "Tell Alex to redress your wounds." 

Rose nodded lightly in response, her chin still held in his hands. 

Her eyes flickered down to the floor and she held her breath as she felt his still on her face.

After what felt like much too long, he stood up. 

"Rose. I would like to apologise for my behaviour towards you," he began, making Rose's eyes shoot up to look at him. "It's just that...you," he cleared his throat. "You remind me of someone." 

Rose opened her mouth to speak but she wasn't quite sure what to say. 

The King glanced down at his watch. "Ah. I must meet with one of my advisors. Walk with me for a moment." 

Rose obeyed but wish he hadn't asked. The apples she'd been ordered to pick from the orchard where stacked unsteadily In her outstretched apron and she worried what would happen if she didn't get back quickly. But she could't disobey the King. And so, the pair walked in silence for a few moments. 

"I trust nobody has given you any hassle." His words were phrased more like a statement than a question and Rose wondered if he truly had any idea what life was like for an omega. 

But then she remembered that she wasn't lying when she replied, "No, sir." 

All day, it had felt like she was walking through a haunted house. Except it was completely empty. But she was still left with an eerie sinking feeling that something would pop out at her at any moment. Every corner she turned, she was worried that she'd get into trouble. 

She knew it was bound to happen. So many things about the night before warranted a punishment. And yet, she'd remained safe all day. 

Perhaps the Alpha King had truly protected her. But then it dawned on her that in a matter of days, he would be gone. 

An apple falling pulled her out of her thoughts. She jumped at the sound of it hitting the floor. 

"Oh. I'm sorry." 

The King watched as she struggled to bend down to pick it up, a few more apples dropping in the process. She finally managed to gather them, watching out of the corner of her eye as one rolled down the hall...and was stopped by a black expensive looking shoe.

Her eyes found the person's face and her stomach dropped. 

"Alpha Rian." The King's expression was unreadable as the Alpha stalked towards them. "I hope that your mood has bettered since last night." 

A strained smile crossed the Alpha's face. "Yes. Indeed, it was greatly in part to our meeting earlier. It was certainly...enlightening." 

Rose's eyes dropped to the floor. This didn't sound like a conversation she should be listening to. 

"Hm. I'm glad you enjoyed it. After all, you could even say it was inspired by you."

The King watched as Rian struggled to keep his features polite as the two stared at each other, both refusing to back down. 

The Alpha was the first, taking a step towards Rose and dropping the apple into the pile. "Be careful. Wouldn't want to make bruises, now would we?" His words were phrased so it might sound like he was merely speaking about dropped apples. But Rose had known him long enough to know what he truly meant. 

She feared that if she wasn't careful, she wouldn't make it out of the Assumption building alive.