Chapter Eight

Tuesday
May 31st
11:30 am
2014

Olivia sat in the auditorium, in the first seat, the very front row. The principle was giving some speech about respect, and other things she didn't really want to listen to. She had to speak in front of the whole school, about bullying and suicide and stuff. She honestly didn't really know what to talk about, she told Marcel earlier that she was just going to say whatever came out of her mouth.

Harry sat also in the front row, but towards the other end. They had been separated, so he sat with kids who seemed like strangers. He tapped his fingers on knee, waiting for the principle to shut up. He didn't even know her name.

Louis, on the other end, sat near the back of the rows, and sat with his (so-called) friends. They were, of course, making fun of the principle, and weren't paying any attention. Louis laughed and joked around with the other boys. But he felt incredibly nervous for Olivia, he didn't know why, he just was.

Rebecca and Michael sat in the very back, not speaking. Michael kept telling her to put her phone away, but she paid no attention. She never really did anymore. This was the first time they had been back in the school since they had told the principle about Caleb's passing. It felt odd to them, instead of supporting both of their children, they were just here for one.

"Olivia." Ms. Jacobs voice echoed through the microphone.

Olivia stood up and walked toward the stage. Her old-worn out shoes patted against the high stage as she walked across it.

The school went wild.

"Boys and girls. This is not a laughing matter, get into your seats." Ms. Jacobs spit as she yelled into the mic.

Olivia rolled her eyes. Not at the principle or the school, but at herself.

Ms. Jacobs stepped away from the podium as if it were Olivia's cue to take center stage. Olivia stared out into the crowd, and could not make out one single face, from the lights.

"For those of you who don't know me, My name is Olivia Hamilton, and I am in the senior class here." She took a deep breath and didn't really know what to say. "I just want to let you all know that I have no script or speech I will be reading off of. Might sound difficult, but I'm going to say whatever I want." She said, "sorry."

They laughed.

"Ihave learneda lot through myhigh schoolyears.. I learned thatthings don't always turn out the way they planned or how you want them to. I learned that you can't always fix your problems, you have to move on from them. I learned that you loose people, that you thought you would grow oldtogether. That you have to stay strong, even if you want to break down and cry. You have to be yourself, and not what people tell you to be. I learned to love each and everyone of you. And a wise boy told me this only a few days ago. You have to be your own hero. And he was right. You have to look out for yourself. No one understands you, more than yourself."

Harry smiled to himself.

"I want everyone to close their eyes, now I will be doing this also. Teachers keep your eyes open though. Ok, now raise your hand if you have ever been bullied-, ok now put them down. Raise your hand if you ever had suicidal thoughts- ok. Now if you have ever attempted suicide. Ok."

"Um.. Mr. Jackson." Olivia looked over to him, he stood on the other end of the stage.

"How many hands do you think were up?"

"At least 1/2." He said loudly.

Olivia turned back to the students and shrugged.

"Do you know how sad that is? So many of you of hurting right now, and the person sitting next to you doesn't even know. None of us know each other. No matter how much we think we do. We don't."