Prologue

Ever since you were a kid, you had believed in things like fairy tales, wanting to desperately be able to connect with anything that you could've seemed magical. It was a childish habit, one that you never seemed to really grow out of. Even now, you loved to read different stories, oblivious to the fact that they might be nothing but falsities made to entertain the madness of men.

But now, after everything that happened, you could say without a doubt that dreams were bullshit. You were now painfully aware of the fact that nothing comes without a price.

You had experienced what was meant to be a dream come true, unaware of the strings attached to it. It had seemed wonderful at first- giving light to things your childhood self could've only dreamed of. And you had enjoyed it, relishing the fact that you had a place where you belonged, even if your arrival wasn't ever supposed to happen in the first place.

When everything first happened, you were more than happy to sit around in your own delusions, pretending that nothing was wrong and that the entire thing was a miracle that you'd somehow gotten wrapped into by a twist of fate.

How wrong you had been to think that this had been something as futile as luck, and that the things you would be forced to go through in order to find somewhat of a happy ending would be pleasant.

It was months ago when you'd first been dragged into this mess, and your memories sometimes blurred when you tried to recall the way you'd acted before everything had essentially turned to dust, but when you did, you remember they way you could smile easily and become flustered at the smallest of things. You used to be such a simple person in that way, content with everything that came your way and taking challenges with a smile.

You see, there wasn't anything particularly interesting about your life, so there was really nothing interesting to expect. You lived alone with your little brother, having moved out a few weeks prior once you had convinced your parents you could provide for yourself.

That day in particular, you had just gotten home from school, with a new essay that needed to be completed by the next day, and in the fashion of a true procrastinator, you had decided that it would be the perfect time to sneak down into the basement with a can of your favorite energy drink and set off to finish watching the rest of one of your favorite shows.

Your brother was off with your parents for the day- something that you hadn't particularly agreed with, but he had consented to it, so you were forced to let him leave. The only bright side to this development was the fact that you could watch things in peace without having to worry about him. There was nothing quite like the feeling of absolute terror you got when he would scream your name from upstairs for reasons ranging to being unable to find the remote to accidentally setting a piece of bacon on fire.

You flipped through Netflix, setting your backpack down in front of you so you didn't completely forget about it's existence. It would be a shame if you just so happened to forget about the important essay you had to finish. A shame, a voice in the back of your head murmured. And in that moment, you knew that you were absolutely going to make sure that you did indeed forget about said essay. You didn't have the time or energy to deal with it.

Naturally, you finished watching the season you were on at around twelve in the morning, and deciding not to sleep in the musty basement like someone criminally insane, you turned off the lights and ran up the stairs as fast as you could to avoid getting eaten by the imaginary demon that dwelled in the basement's darkest depths.

Your short walk back to your room was sluggish, and you had to stop to regain your breath for a moment since you were completely out of shape. If you were being honest with yourself, the last time you'd actually exercised willingly was for the Pacer Test in seventh grade. But still, you continued, flopping down onto your bed and smashing your face against the pillow, wanting to fall asleep faster than you could remember the mountain of work to do.