Chapter Eight

"I can explain," you told them as Tamaki glanced between you and his other two friends, unsure of what to make of the situation. "You asked me why I have book on the multiverse theory... well, I wasn't entirely truthful as to why."

You took your earbuds back from both Nejire and Mirio, pausing the music as you contemplated the best way to explain your situation. You quickly looked around to make sure there wasn't anyone else near the four of you before you continued. "I'm from another universe."

Tamaki looked confused. Nejire and Mirio took a look at each other before they both burst out laughing- as if what you had said was the funniest thing in the world. You groaned, putting your face in your hands. You felt humiliated.

"I'm not joking," you told them, serious expression compromised by your embarrassed blush. "I appeared randomly in Nezu's office a few days ago with no idea how I got there. He's trying to find a way to get me back, and I'm researching stuff on my own to see if I can help."

Their amused expressions went slack. "You're serious, aren't you?"

You nodded again, and Mirio asked, "Does this mean we exist in your universe like you were talking about earlier?"

You were even more hesitant to tell them that, but you ended up giving in. "You all are apart of a manga franchise that I used to be into when I was younger. You don't exist there as actual people, per say- just as fictional characters."

"We're part of a story?" Tamaki asked, eyes widening. He paled considerably. "People have seen all of my embarrassing moments."

You shook your head, trying to calm his nerves. "Don't worry, Amajiki. The story doesn't revolve around you, okay? No one has seen any of your embarrassing moments."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "Who's the main character in it, then?"

You nodded your head in the direction of the green-haired boy in question. "Izuku Midoriya. It follows his path to becoming a pro hero. You guys are in some of it, I think. I don't remember much from when I first read it."

"Oh my god!" Nejire finally exclaimed. "This is so cool! You know the future!"

Did she not hear what I just said? You wondered as she started gushing about the possible lives you could say. Your eyes widened at that. "Woah. Don't get ahead of yourself. I don't think I'm going to try and change anything that happens." You shot a glance towards Mirio. "Except maybe a few minor things that won't affect much."

You weren't sure whether or not saving Mirio from losing his quirk would royally fuck up the timeline, and you knew that you weren't entirely prepared to find out. Was it really worth the risk if he just ended up getting his quirk back, anyways? You weren't sure. You were about to continue talking when everything froze. And by everything, you meant you.

You couldn't move anything. You couldn't blink, couldn't breathe, couldn't think. You were panicking. You couldn't breathe. Mirio was talking to you, but you couldn't focus on his words. Suddenly, the freezing stopped, and your body warped, glitching more violently that it ever had before. When it stopped, you gasped for breath, praying that the other students around you hadn't seen it. Thankfully, the cafeteria seemed busy enough that everyone else was focused on their lunches.

"What... what was that?" Tamaki asked, looking at you fearfully.

You were still hyperventilating, trying to stop the smaller glitches that had encased your hands. Mirio rubbed your back in concern, telling you to take deep breaths. He offered you a glass of water, only for your hands to go through it. When he realized that you couldn't take it, he frowned.