Chapter 3 - The Hellhound's Extinguisher

Chapter 3

Noah, Scott, Jordan, and Alayna went inside the station and straight to the Sheriff's office. Jordan made sure that he had locked the door so that no other deputy would be able to overhear their conversation. Sure, the people of Beacon Hills were now aware of the supernatural creatures that were residing with them but hearing another supernatural attack might cause panic and the Sheriff definitely would want to avoid that.

"So...water nymphs...mermaids," Scott coughed in order to bring up the topic. "What are they doing and how do we stop them?" There was no need to ask why there were water nymphs in Beacon Hills. The Nemeton was the answer to that. Every supernatural creature would feel drawn to the Nemeton.

"These are creatures of the night," Alayna sat on the couch and crossed her legs. "In the daylight, they look stunningly beautiful but at night...their faces turn into vicious monsters. These water nymphs look like burned skin and bones with a tail of the fish under the moonlight," Alayna had not seen a water nymph personally but she had already seen a sketch in the complete Bestiary that Deucalion owned. As the Bestiary had been passed down to other people, the content lessened. Alayna was lucky to have read the complete version of the Bestiary that her father owned. "They lure men with their beauty and with every tongue and pairs of legs they steal, the longer that they can stay human,"

"What...?" the Sheriff had no idea if Alayna was just making things up, but he had seen a lot of things that was hard to explain so he got no other choice but to believe the brunette. It was the closest hint that he got to the killers and he would take it.

"One tongue and two legs are enough to turn one water nymph into a human for a week," Alayna added. "If I were you, I will check the records of who just arrived here in Beacon Hills. If you see a woman who's beautiful, you better believe that she's a water nymph,"

Jordan eyed Alayna skeptically. If what Alayna had said was true, Jordan should believe that Alayna was his enemy. "Are you a water nymph?" Jordan uttered suddenly. "I mean...i—it's just...it's the first time we have seen you get involved and maybe you're someone who just arrived in Beacon Hills," Jordan could not possibly tell them that he found Alayna strikingly beautiful. He almost made a mistake when he got attracted to Lydia Martin who was also a senior high school student during that time. He did not want to make the same mistake again even if Alayna was already eighteen years old.

In a small town like Beacon Hills, people would talk...so it was the best decision to be careful.

'I wish,' Alayna thought. At this time, she wished that she was a water nymph since being one meant that she had a better chance at killing Scott. Instead of answering Jordan's question with words, Alayna revealed her red eyes.

"You're a werewolf....an Alpha," Scott observed. He observed that the color of Alayna's eyes was familiar but he could not determine where he had seen it before. Scott knew a lot of werewolves but not a lot of alphas. Hopefully, letting Alayna help them with the water nymphs would soon feed his curiosity. "Where's your pack?"

"Gone," Alayna answered flatly, leaving no room for Scott to ask about the members of her pack. "What's your plan?"

"I will do my best to talk to the girls' parents that you beat up at school," the Sheriff had no other choice. He knew that they would need Alayna's help so he needed to comply with her demand. "However, I will be expecting you to come with us tomorrow, after school, to help. The first thing we need is a person who knows about these water nymphs...and so far, you're the only one knowledgeable about it,"

"Alright," Alayna agreed to the deal. If they only knew that she planned to kill a friend of Scott's afterwards, they would not let her help them. "Can I go now?"

"Did you bring a car?" the Sheriff asked and Alayna shook her head. She had Deucalion's car in the parking lot of her condo but she was never one to surrender to the life of ease. She always walked to school and she considered it good exercise in the morning and after school.

"Parrish, please drive her to where she lives," the Sheriff ordered the deputy.

"Yes, Sheriff," Jordan was the first one who walked outside of the door and Alayna followed behind him. Jordan did not know why he felt the need to be a gentleman when he opened the door of the front seat for Alayna.

Alayna was taken by surprise but she still managed to keep it to herself. She went inside of the deputy's car and contemplated that Jordan was...kind. He did not deserve to be in the supernatural scene. It was a shame that Jordan was the harbinger of death, a Hellhound. Alayna directed Jordan to where her condo was located and Jordan drove.

"You need to stay out of this," Alayna could not stop herself from blurting out.

"Stay out of what?" Jordan was confused of what Alayna was talking about. Was Alayna talking about her case? "I can't stay out of it. I'm a deputy and I—"

"You need to stay out of Scott's battle against the water nymphs," Alayna answered almost immediately.

"If I can help, I need to help,"

"You're going to die," Alayna stated the obvious. "If you aren't aware, you're a Hellhound," Jordan was silent and Alayna got the hunch that the deputy was not thinking about himself. "You're. A. Hellhound. The enemies? They are water nymphs. Fire can't beat water, Parrish. If you try and battle them, you're going to die,"

Jordan remained silent because Alayna was right. He had not thought that a Hellhound would not be able to battle water nymphs. Water was already in the name of the enemies. He felt dumb for not thinking about it before Alayna had mentioned the fact.

"I can't stand by and not do anything about it," Jordan admitted. As a deputy, he needed to protect Beacon Hills and its people in any way that he could. "I need to help. I want to help,"

"That's your choice," Alayna could not do anything about him. She was clueless as to why she cared about the green-eyed deputy. If Jordan wanted to get himself killed, then so be it. Jordan was the least of Alayna's problems. Since her condo was near to the station and the school, the two had arrived to their destination after a couple of minutes. "Thanks for the lift," Alayna walked outside of the car without turning back.

Jordan did not know what to do. They did not do anything in the car aside from Alayna predicting his death but he never wanted the night to end. "H—Hey..." Jordan called to the brunette which made her turn around. "I can fetch you after school tomorrow and bring you to the station if you want...?"

'Why on Earth was this deputy so kind?' Alayna pondered. "If it doesn't cause any trouble, that sounds nice," Alayna was oblivious about why she agreed. She could walk to the station by herself. Why did she need to trouble Jordan?

"See you after school," Jordan drove away. There was no doubt that the beautiful blue-eyed girl would get him in trouble sooner than he thought.