Chapter 13 - The Hellhound's Extinguisher

Chapter 13

"It's been a week and Lara Grace still refused to show up," Liam exasperatedly whispered to Alayna who was sitting beside him. The two were in their AP Biology class. Apparently, Alayna was not the only one bored with the class, Liam was too. Since Alayna sat at the very back, Liam adjusted by moving from his seat to the vacant seat next to the blue-eyed girl. "You may have figured out how to determine a water nymph, but this is dead end, Alayna,"

"I'm trying to figure something out," Alayna sighed. Their mission was easier when they did not know who the water nymphs were compared to now. Alayna went back to the restaurant every night to see if Lara Grace still worked there. Apparently, Lara Grace and Belinda West were nowhere to be seen...and they certainly did not want to be found.

Not to mention that two dead bodies with missing legs and tongues appearing in the woods for the past week did not do Alayna any good. If the water nymphs only had a scent, this would be so much easier for all of them.

"Don't you think it's weird that one body showed up earlier than the two?" Liam was curious. He knew that the Sheriff and Scott first saw three bodies. One appeared last week that Scott, Stiles, and Alayna inspected in the hospital, then two new bodies appeared for the past week.

"Where are you getting at, Liam?"

"I—I'm not entirely sure..." Liam scratched the back of his head. "...but what if we're not dealing with just two water nymphs. What if there are three?"

"If you're right, that just means that we are in deeper trouble than we already are," Alayna mentally face-palmed herself because she knew that Scott's beta had a point. "This is hard. I'm honestly not sure on what our next move should be. Should we find Lara and Belinda or figure out who the third water nymph is?"

"No matter what we choose, we still don't know where to look," Liam started to think that the mission was hopeless. Liam thought that this year, he would be able to focus on his studies. He wanted a way out of the stress...but there was no way out. If they did not protect Beacon Hills, who would?

Mason, who was sitting in front of Liam, turned around to look at them. "I know that this is not important but I just want to let you know. During the first day, Lara Grace tried to hit on me,"

"What?" Corey, who was beside Mason, was the one who reacted. "What did you say?"

"Duh—that I'm gay?" Mason stated in a matter of fact tone. He now regretted that he had mentioned it when his boyfriend was beside him. The last thing that Mason wanted to do was argue with Corey by being hit on by a girl.

Alayna thought that Mason was right. Not only was the information that Mason told was not of any importance, it was also totally useless. On the other hand, Corey's reaction made Alayna laugh.

Liam could not help but stare at Alayna in awe. For a moment there, he had really seen how attractive Alayna was. She was smart, beautiful, and most of all, an Alpha. Liam tried to avoid having false thoughts about Alayna. The last thing that the beta wanted to do was to make an enemy out of a Hellhound.

***

Liam found himself walking with Alayna outside of the school. He figured that there was nothing wrong if he was just crushing on the beautiful blue-eyed girl. It was just a simple crush. It was not like he was going to make Alayna his girlfriend.

The beta was surprised when he saw Jordan Parrish outside of the school again. Liam grew nervous as he wondered if the deputy could sense that he was crushing on his girl. However, that was not the case of why Parrish was there. The deputy was not alone. Parrish was with a female deputy with sleek black hair and hazel eyes.

"What's happening here...?" Liam did not hesitate to ask.

"We're here for you, Alayna Drydon," Victoria Gertraud spoke with determination. "You are arrested for almost killing two juniors and assaulting a waitress,"

"What?" Alayna whispered. She could not believe her ears. Sure, she had it coming when she pulled Lara Grace's collar in the restaurant, but she thought that she was free from those juniors' charges. "Looks like the Sheriff didn't make it to the end of the deal. It's time for me to be out of this. Goodluck with protecting Beacon Hills," the last sentence was meant for Jordan and Liam. Who could blame Alayna? She felt used and betrayed. She shared her knowledge with them about the water nymphs and she had almost gotten herself killed by following one.

Alayna threw her bag on the ground and immediately ran away from them. She used her supernatural speed so that she would not get caught. The last thing that she wanted to be in was behind the bars. Being in jail would make her feel like a caged animal and it was pretty clear that she was already an animal to begin with.

Victoria immediately went inside her car and started the engine. She did not waste any time in following the blue-eyed girl.

Before Jordan could do the same, Liam grabbed him by the arm. "Parrish, don't tell me that you're also going to arrest her?"

Jordan was deep in thought. "I don't want to do this..." Alayna had now made the matter worse by running away from the deputies. "...but I don't have a choice. This is my job, Liam," Jordan left Liam standing there in order to avoid having any room for argument.

Jordan went inside his car and slammed his fist on the steering wheel due to frustration. Jordan felt incomplete when he had not seen Alayna for a week. God knew how bad he wanted to see her. Now that he did, Jordan felt guilty for wishing something so terrible. If seeing Alayna meant treating her as a criminal, maybe it would be better for Jordan not to see her again.