Chapter 4 [edited]

After days of dark clouds and pouring rain, Friday morning brought blue skies and warm sunshine. Everyone seemed to have the same idea of taking advantage of the sun that day at school; people were wearing shorts and tank tops, eating outside for lunch. Jessica was sprawled out in the grass, sunbathing, as Bella and I sat at the picnic table. Bella tried not to make it obvious she was scanning the courtyard for Edward, blushing when Jessica spoke up.

"He's not here. Whenever the weather is nice, the Cullens disappear."

"They just ditch?" I asked, incredulous.

"No, Dr. and Mrs. Cullen yank them out for hiking and camping, family stuff. I tried that on my parents once. Not even close." She gave a laugh and rolled her eyes, before soaking in the sunshine again.

"I think that's pretty cool, to be honest." I said, thinking back to my middle school years. "My family used to do things like that."

Bella squeezed my hand in support, giving me an understanding smile. Just then, Angela ran over to us, throwing her arms around Bella.

"I'm going to prom with Eric!" She yelled happily. "I took control, just like you said, and asked him this morning."

"That's awesome!" Bella hugged her back.

"Are you sure you have to go out of town that weekend?" Angela pretended to pout.

"It's a family thing." Bella half-heartedly smiled.

"We need to go dress shopping," Jessica interrupted excitedly, her eyes twinkling with happiness; Mike had asked her to prom and it was all she could think of. "We need to hit Port Angeles before all the good dresses are gone."

"Port Angeles?" Bella asked, her eyes lighting up for a moment. "Do you mind if I come with you?"

"Well, duh. I need your opinion." Angela told her.

"What about you, Autumn?" Jessica turned to look at me. "You're going to prom, right?"

"Of course." I smiled. "Count me in."

"Are you sure you don't want to find a date?" Angela asked as the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

"I'm fine without a date," I reassured her. "Besides, I would rather hang out with my friends."

"Okay, so after school?" Jessica looked at us, and we nodded before heading off to class.

* * * * * * * *

"You have to try that one," Angela said as she ruffled through the rack. I was holding a gold off-the-shoulder dress to my body, looking at the mirror.

"You really think so?" I asked, a little skeptical.

"Definitely," she smiled warmly.

"As long as you try on that one." I nodded to the periwinkle dress she picked out.

"Deal."

"Hurry up, guys." Jessica huffed impatiently, holding onto a hot pink halter top dress. We shook our heads as we shared a grin, following her into the dressing rooms.

A few minutes later, we walked out to where Bella was sitting, Jessica striking a provocative pose in the floor-length mirrors.

"I think this halter makes my boobs look big," she said as she adjusted the front. "What do you think, Bella?

A group of guys walking past the shop made catcalling noises in oggling appreciation, making us roll our eyes. Bella shook her head distractedly.

"Earth to Bella." I called out teasingly.