Chapter 13 [edited]

"Are you sure you're okay?" Bella asked for what seemed to be the millionth time.

It had been two days since the incident and Bella still felt horrible that she stayed at Jacob's instead of driving me home. After I had gotten the anonymous text, I called Bella sobbing and she came to pick me up because I couldn't walk; Jacob was with her and he had to pick me up off the ground because fear had me paralyzed. They took me straight to Charlie at the police station and sat with me as I filed a report.

Charlie had called my mom, who wrapped her arms tightly around me when she showed up to get me. Jacob had a grim expression on his face as we left the police station and I couldn't make out what he was thinking. Since then, Mom made sure that I was with someone at all times - her at the bakery, Bella at home, or at Jacob's, a police officer sitting outside our house. I was grateful that Mom was taking the situation seriously, even though we didn't have a clue who would come after me in the first place.

"Yeah," I answered with a small smile. "I'm okay."

"We don't have to go to Jacob's today. We could stay home and watch movies on the Hallmark Channel."

"You don't even watch the Hallmark Channel." I laughed.

"No, but you do." Bella smiled. "I know it'd cheer you up and take your mind off things."

"It's okay if we go to Jacob's. Besides, I heard Billy's been asking about me. If I don't go a third day in a row, the man might have his heart broken."

"Alright. I'll drive."

Ten minutes later, we pulled into the Blacks' driveway, both of us lost in thought. Jacob stood in the doorway of the garage, a grim expression on his face. His eyes scanned the area around us, as if on alert. We all were on alert, and I was sure we would be until the police caught my stalker.

"How was the ride over?" Jacob asked once we reached him.

"Silent." Bella replied, sneaking a glance at me. My cheeks flushed.

"Sorry."

"It's okay." She reassured me. "We didn't have any problems."

"Good. That's good." Jacob smiled at me before turning back into the garage. "I have snacks, courtesy of Sue."

"Geez, does everyone know?"

"Yeah." Jacob rubbed his neck, a sheepish grin on his face. "Dad told the council elders. Now they've got everyone keeping an eye out."

"Great." I flopped onto the couch and threw my arm over my face.

"We just want to make sure you're protected over here," Jacob said, reaching for a wrench. "Your mom would kill us if something happened to you."

"Yeah, I know." I let out a sign. "I just didn't want to be a burden to anyone."

"You're definitely not a burden," Jacob inhaled sharply.

"If we're going to be working on these bikes every day, we should probably include some homework. Don't want the parents to think we're a bad influence on you." Bella changed the subject, sensing how uncomfortable the topic was making me.

"You two influence me? Please."

"Um, yeah. We influence you. We're older than you." I said jokingly.

"Age ain't nothin' but a number." He stuck his tongue out at me.

"And we convinced you to secretly build us two-wheeled death machines." Bella added.

"God, you're right, you're like Satan --." Jacob gasped in mock horror as he stopped working on the bikes to stare wide-eyed at her.

"Yo, Jake, you in there?" A voice called out from outside the garage.