Chapter 48 [edited]

The sound of voices just outside the living room window aroused me from the unexpected nap. My body still felt groggy, drained from the emotional outburst I had, so I allowed myself to remain lying down on the couch as I strained to hear what was going on.

"Wait, Renesmee is Autumn and Jacob's son's soulmate?" I heard Bella ask someone, her voice incredulous. "I did not see that coming."

A chuckle answered her, and I recognized Edward's voice before he spoke.

"Neither did I. Autumn has a theory that's why you weren't able to let Jacob walk away from you."

"It does make sense." I could feel Bella shrug. "What else did I miss while I was out?"

"I think that's about it. You've seen Renesmee and you know about her gift. You know about the future imprint. The treaty has been renewed with Sam and the other wolves."

"Bet that went over well."

"Sam was actually understanding," Jacob chimed in. "Well, afterwards. Even though things were pretty rocky before, Sam and the others know they can't hurt Nessie without hurting Autumn or I. Whether intentional or not, the death of an imprint means war, a fight to death... and none of them want that."

A short pause.

"What did you just call my daughter?" Bella asked.

"Here we go." I heard Emmett rumble out a laugh.

"Well, I mean - the name you gave her is a handful," Jacob stammered, and I could hear his footsteps retreating into the yard from the porch.

"You did NOT nickname her after the Loch Lake Monster!?!" Bella shrieked.

In a flash, I was off the couch and by the window facing the front yard just as Bella leapt off the porch, landing gracefully on her feet. She glared at Jacob, who held his hands up in surrender.

"Technically, Autumn came up with it... but it's not like that, Bells! If you had named her Vanessa, it still would've fit as a nickname." He explained in a rush.

This caused Bella to hesitate, considering his words carefully. Although she was still glaring at him, her defensive stance softened in defeat.

"I don't like it." She huffed after another beat. "But I guess I get it. Renesmee is a bit difficult to say."

"Seth, Leah, it's okay. Back off." Jacob said, his eyes darting to the side as his pack mates slunk out of the woods, still in wolf form. Leah growled in response, her eyes hardened as she stared Bella down.

"Incredible, right?" Edward breathed. "She's more in control of her emotions than any newborn I've ever encountered, myself included."

"Impressive." Carlisle said, his tone awed. "I wonder..."

I tuned out their conversation as I studied Bella and Jacob together, still a few feet apart. It was obvious that the bond that kept them practically joint at the hip was gone; now it was just a friendship, no complicated feelings attached. Despite the annoyance still radiating from Bella's body, I could see the familiar comfort lingering between them.

Bella was right, way back when; she and Jacob were family. They belonged in each other's lives. Now, it just made sense how they belonged.

As the late afternoon sky slowly morphed into a lavender evening, the tension died down enough for everyone to break off and do their own thing. Jacob and Rosalie stayed on the front porch with Renesmee; Emmett, Alice, and Esme had gone off hunting, the Cullens still taking turns to keep an eye on Renesmee and Bella.

Edward, Carlisle, Jasper, and Bella eventually joined me in the living room; the four of us anxiously glanced at her every now and again as she settled into one of the chairs. Bella didn't mind the hovering; instead, she asked us questions about everything she missed the last two days.