Chapter 7 [edited]

"Alright, everyone. Back up! Give her some space!"

Through the fogginess, a familiar voice called out in the distance. Struggling to fight off the darkness, I felt my senses slowly coming back into focus. Arms were wrapped around my stomach as my head rested against someone's leg. My eyes fluttered and I heard someone sigh in relief.

"She's coming around." The voice said soothingly, almost as if the person was proud.

"I don't know what happened." Another voice replied, worry heavily laced with small hiccups.

"You did the right thing by calling me, Jacob. I know how difficult that must've been."

"When she said Bella's name," Jacob paused hesitantly, "I knew something bad had happened. Bella is her best friend, and I know Autumn trusts you, Dr. Cullen."

Carlisle, the voice in my head cried out in relief. Remembering Edward's phone call, my body stirred and I was able to open my eyes. Jacob and Carlisle both looked down at me, their faces breaking into warm, cautious smiles.

"Welcome back, Autumn." Carlisle said in a low voice. "How are you feeling?"

"Still light-headed. But I'm okay." I smiled before sheer terror overtook me. "Is Bella okay?"

"She's fine," Carlisle reassured me. "We'll discuss that when we get back to my house."

I nodded, turning my attention to Jacob, whose arms were wrapped around me. He seemed to notice that too, because he blushed and let me go, motioning for Carlisle to help me off the ground. Carefully with Carlisle's support, I slowly got to my feet and brushed off my jeans.

"I'm sorry for leaving you in there," Jacob said, looking down at the ground.

"I'm sorry my stalker ex crashed our first date."

"That was some speech in there. What's the deal with him anyway?" His eyes met mine, a harsh coldness taking place over the warm chocolate color I had seen all night.

"There's nothing going on between him and me," I said, suddenly defensive. "He cheated on me and got my best friend pregnant."

"Clearly there's something still going on if he came all the way from Michigan to tell you he still loves you." Jacob said a little too bitterly. I took a step back from him, hurt written in my eyes.

"Well, clearly there's nothing going on here if you think that." I choked back threatening tears. "Maybe this was a bad idea."

"Yeah, maybe it was." Jacob snapped. "Instead of being with you, I could've made sure Bella was okay and not almost killed by a psychopath."

His words were a hard slap to the face and I gasped, my chest tightening from lack of air. Abruptly spinning away from him, I fled toward Carlisle, who was staring coldly at Jacob. Carlisle wrapped an arm around me as I let the tears spill down my cheeks, burrowing myself into the crook of his arm while he led me to his car. Sliding into the front seat, I avoided making eye contact with Jacob as we drove away, leaving him in the parking lot alone.

The drive to the Cullen residence was silent, which made me even more grateful for Carlisle coming to my aid. Leaning my forehead against the window, I stared at the passing scenery until the tears dried. Carlisle pulled a pack of tissues out from his jacket and handed it to me.

"Thank you." I muttered, managing a small smile.

"He's an idiot." Carlisle said, his eyes on the road as he pulled into the winding driveway. "His ego was a little bruised, but he'll come around."

"I don't think so. He's in love with Bella." I let out a hiccup as I wiped my eyes with a tissue.

"I saw the way he looked at you while you were unconscious," Carlisle said quietly. "Give him some time, he'll realize his feelings."