Chapter 41 [edited]

The air was coated in a tension beyond anything I had ever felt before; the presence of danger looming over our heads was heavier than the newborn army coming for the Cullens back in June.

So much has happened in two months...

Carlisle and Esme lingering in the foyer pulled me out of my thoughts, their faces full of concern for their family as they whispered to each other. Pressing his lips to her forehead, Carlisle opened the front door and watched as Esme disappeared from sight. He clicked the door shut behind her and turned away, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes shifted to the living room, to the couch where Bella was snoring softly. Noticing that I was watching him, Carlisle slowly walked into the room.

"Esme's going to hunt, not too far away." He murmured as he approached me. "How are you holding up?"

"I think I'm okay." I shifted into a more comfortable sitting position, pulling the blanket closer to my chin as I tugged it over my shoulders. "There's ice still in the pit of my stomach, like something's happened or is going to happen soon. I can't tell... but I think it's something to do with Jacob."

"I'm sure he's okay." Carlisle reassured me.

I gave him a weak smile before shifting my gaze to the doorway behind us. Alice hovered inside the frame, her eyes nervously darting around the room.

"Do you hear that?" She asked, her tone shaking as if she was spooked.

No sooner than the words left her tongue, another sharp stab engulfed me; only this time, it wasn't pain flowing through my body. It felt more like... power. Freedom. I raised my head to meet Edward's surprised expression just as the noise Alice asked about reached our ears.

Wolf howls from La Push. Filled with urgency, almost in agony. Broken, as if calling out to a lost loved one.

It was haunting and beautiful at the same time.

I closed my eyes and focused on the sounds, steadying my breathing as I used my magic to feel Jacob. Running through the green forest, claws digging into the dirt to gain traction; his paws hitting the ground in a rhythm that faintly reminded me of a drum. The scene around him was familiar, almost flashing before my eyes like a movie rewinding until a light bulb clicked inside my head.

Jacob was on his way back to us.

"He did it." I whispered as the realization of his situation dawned on me. "He really did it."

"What happened, Autumn?" Edward was kneeling beside me on the floor, his eyes searching my face.

"He opposed Sam... claimed what's rightfully his." I mumbled as the rest of the Cullens listened carefully, nobody moving as my words sank in. "Jacob's claimed his Alpha status."

"What does this mean for the pack?" Emmett asked, raising an eyebrow. "There can't be two alphas, right?"

"It means... Jacob doesn't have a pack. Unless you count me." I trailed off, feeling a pull in my magic. "Wait a second.... oh. Oh! OH!"

Edward shifted to peer out the window briefly before darting out of the room. With a glance in my direction, Emmett and Jasper followed when I nodded frantically, throwing the blanket off of me.

"What is it?" Carlisle rested his hand on my shoulder.

"Seth left Sam's pack... so Jacob has a pack now. And they're both outside." I clambered to my feet and ran to the porch, coming to a stop when I saw Emmett and Jasper crouched defensively a few feet away.

"Em, Jazz - not them! The others." Edward said exasperatedly. "The pack is coming."

"They're coming for Bella." I said, causing the guys to turn around and face me. Jacob dipped his head in agreement, and a snarl ripped from my throat. "Over my dead body!"