Chapter 17 [edited]

"We know you're home, Jacob! Open the door!" Bella yelled as she pounded her fist against the finished wood of the garage door. A light drizzle had begun once we parked her truck, raindrops steadily bouncing off our jackets.

"What are you guys doing here?" Jacob's voice hissed angrily from behind us. We spun around to face him, only to be taken back by his appearance.

His long hair had been cut into a short crop, his face hardened as he glared at us. The menacing vibes rolling off of him sent a chill down my spine, and I involuntarily took a half step away from him; my heart nearly dropped into my stomach as I realized in the brief moment, he reminded me of Reed when he was angry at me. A few feet behind Jacob stood Sam and the other guys - Paul, Jared, and Embry; each of them staring at Bella and I with disinterest as Jacob glared at us.

"Go away," Jacob spoke again before either of us could think of something to say.

Silently, Sam started to head for the house, the others following. Jacob had turned away, ready to go after them when Bella found her voice.

"What happened to you?"

Her voice cracked, causing Jacob to stop and turn back toward us. The others stopped to wait on the porch for him. They were just out of earshot, but I knew they weren't planning on leaving Jacob alone.

"Sam got to you, didn't he? What did he do?"

"Sam's trying to help me, don't blame him." Jacob glared at her.

"Then who? Who do I blame?"

"How about those filthy, reeking bloodsuckers you love? The Cullens." Jacob sneered at Bella, disgust and anger lacing through his tone.

"Don't talk to her like that." I snapped, my eyes flashing as I stepped in between them.

"Stay out of it, Autumn. This doesn't concern you." He snapped back, not quite meeting my eyes.

"Of course it concerns me. She's my best friend, and you're acting like a cold-hearted jerk!" I yelled at him.

"I... don't know what you're..." Bella said quietly, taken back by surprise at the mention of the Cullens.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." He cut her off, ignoring my insult.

"The Cullens are long gone. How are they to blame?" I asked, trying to take the attention off of Bella when I noticed Jacob shaking with anger.

"They started all this by existing. Goddamn leeches..."

"Jacob." Sam's voice carried across the yard.

Jacob glanced at Sam, who gave him a look. His tone of voice said "that's enough." Jacob took a deep breath, visibly trying to calm himself before he spoke again.

"I can't be friends with you anymore. Either of you."

"Jake, I know I hurt you. I should have been more up-front but... I needed you, I still do. I don't know what that means yet, but if you give me time..." Bella pleaded, her voice almost giving out as she held back the tears.

"Stop. Don't do that. It's not you."

"'It's not you, it's me?' God." Bella shook her head, turning away.

"Are you really pulling that card, Jacob?" I scoffed.

"It's true." He insisted. "I'm not... good. Not anymore. "

"You're wrong." Bella said.

"It doesn't matter. This is over."

"I can't take losing my best friend, too."