Chapter 30 [edited]

"Seattle is in a state of terror..."

The mention of Seattle caught Carlisle's attention and he turned the volume up, the rest of us slowly facing the tv. The female reporter was positioned in front of Pike Place, her expression grim as she continued.

"Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bella and Edward walk into the living room; they quietly stood just inside the doorway as they listened to the reporter. Edward's expression matched Carlisle and Jasper's; the three of them shared worried glances as Edward read their thoughts, occasionally tilting his head to one side. The reporter continued on the screen.

"Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer... Reporting live, Dawn Chubai. CNN."

"It's getting worse. We're going to have to do something." Carlisle sighed as he flipped the tv off and tossed the remote onto the coffee table.

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting. Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous..." Jasper murmured thoughtfully, his voice trailing off.

"Newborns," Edward said, looking to Jasper for confirmation; he gave Edward a sharp nod.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella asked, her eyebrows rising in confusion. This time, it was Edward who nodded in response.

"In their first few months after the change."

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable, vicious, insane with thirst." Jasper added darkly, his eyes haunted by his inner thoughts.

"Something to look forward to," Emmett smirked at Bella, his tone teasing in dark amusement.

"No one has trained these newborns, but this isn't random." Jasper turned to Carlisle, ignoring Emmett's comment.

"Someone's creating an army."

"Oh, now we're definitely going to Seattle," Emmett said enthusiastically, rising from the couch. Rosalie rolled her eyes at him but otherwise said nothing.

"Wait. An army of vampires is in Seattle?" I asked from the chaise, wrapping my arms around my knees as I looked from Carlisle to Jasper.

"And they've been created to fight someone."

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward spoke more to himself than us as he began to pace back and forth, lost in thought.

"Regardless of who they were created to fight, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will. I'm surprised they've let it go on this long." Carlisle replied.

"Maybe they're behind it." Edward looked at him. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind... He wants me and Alice to join him... Our gifts would shore up his power. He knows we'd never choose him as long as our family is still alive. An army could solve that for him."

"I would've seen if he was behind the army," Alice spoke up from her perch on the stairs. "Besides, if Aro really wanted to, he'd come for us himself."

"We can't wait two weeks for graduation; you need to change me now—" Bella exclaimed, panic etched onto her face. Jasper shook his head, cutting her off.

"You'd be a liability as a newborn. Unable to control your instincts. An easy target."

Carlisle put an empathetic hand on Bella's shoulder as she sagged into the couch, defeated.

"There's also your father to consider. And your mother. How terrible would it be for them if you suddenly disappeared?" He pointed out.

"He's right, Bells. We can't risk it," I added. "If all you can think of once turned is drinking blood, then you'll get distracted easily, and Edward might get hurt if he's too busy watching over you."