Chapter Eight

E I G H T

Grace followed closely behind AC as he leads them to a part of the Gardens she has yet to see. The walk is quiet, neither of them mentioning yesterday or their newfound revelations. Grace was thankful to have the time to mull it all over, its not every day you find out everything you've ever known was a lie. One thing she was certain of, was that her father was dead. She'd never have the chance to know him or understand the kind of man he really was. The kind of King he was.

The trees widened before them, opening to a large meadow. The grass seemed perfectly kept, daisies and wildflowers sporadic and in full bloom. Grace had never seen anything quite like it. Everything screamed out peace and calmness that invited them to push further.

"When I was little, before I became officially part of the Gardens, I'd sneak away and come here. This was the only place that allowed me to have a slice of peace and honesty with myself." AC's words were soft, like they had been yesterday, vulnerable and open. Wide open.

Far, from the other end of the field, the leaves rustled and parted. Two large creatures sauntered out and into the open. They were built like lions the size of a full-grown horse, their short haired coats the color of snow with tails cascading toward the ground like a waterfall of their own. Their eyes as black as night, shimmering with unforeseen knowledge. Grace had never seen anything quite like it.

The beats moved leisurely, bumping heads in greeting before moving in sync to Grace and AC. "Don't be afraid," he whispered. They stopped a foot away, a twitch of their heads at the sweep of the wind. "They're called Whispers. It's said that if you hear whispers in the wind, it's them telling you what you need to hear the most."

"They can speak?" Grace felt that she needed to speak lowly, to not startle the beautiful creature before them. AC's words played at her mind, a slice of peace and honesty with myself. They were the ones who allowed him his truths, she could see that now.

He nodded. Moving to gently touch the back of the Whisper closest to him. It rumbled and bowed its head, rubbing against AC's chest. "They are peaceful creatures and the most misunderstood. Designed to appear dangerous, yet they have the biggest souls."

The Whisper lowered itself, and AC glanced to Grace. He nodded once, gesturing for her to come closer. She was hesitant in the face of a new discovery, but decided to put her entire trust in AC. He was there from day one, although brash and a seemingly cold shoulder, he warmed up and even came for her when he thought she was in danger. It was only right that she show him his effort didn't go unnoticed.

He was gentle in helping her onto the Whisper's bareback, his hands moving to guide her hips before stopping short. Grace hoisted herself up and settle carefully. The Whisper rose and gave a small trot before nudging AC to it's companion. Grace could feel the strength and girth of the animal beneath her. It's expanding sides with every breath in, her hands gliding across the soft hairs. Like sitting on breathing cloud. AC was right. They seemed so peaceful and contempt, its beautiful soul hidden beneath its hard exterior. They reminded her a lot of AC.

His steel eyes watched her in wonder. "They read well. These animals." His voice was soft and pensive as his hand traveled slowly along the neck of the Whisper, "They can tell you things about yourself you never knew."

As if on command, Grace's counterpart trotted forward, moving in a hypnotizing circle around AC. A huff of breath and a bump of its rear, her Whisper urging his. Her grip around tuff of hair tightened at the sudden movement, Grace never have ridden a horse let alone a whole new species of animal. She couldn't help but to notice the widening of AC's eyes and the furrow in his brow. His back straightened, rigid, in tune with the wind that danced around them.