Chapter Fifteen

FIFTEEN

They walked for a long while, the sun finally beginning to dip below the horizon. Deciding to stop for the night, Silas gathered sticks and specific rocks, putting them into a pile in the middle of a small opening of the trees. Grace watched him as he moved expertly, creating a fire for them to sleep beside. As the flames grew up and into the sky, night settled in and Grace took a seat beside the heat.

"Get some rest, I'll keep watch," Silas ordered, moving from the fire.

Grace shook her head, "I can stay up if you want to sleep?"

"No, your body isn't used to all of this walking, especially without rest. You need to sleep, plus I know how to fight things off if they come from any direction.

Grace knew there was no use in putting up a fight, Silas was right. He was more equipped to handle anything that came their way. She curled up onto the soft patch of dirt, moving to get as comfortable as she could. Her eyes closed for half a second before reopening to watch Silas move to a tree. He leaned against its trunk and scanned the darkened forest. She wondered how he could see so blatantly clear in the night, assuming it had something to do with how he was able to defeat that sleep demon quickly.

He was so quick and ready to help her, she thought. All of them had been but she was beginning to wonder if they were so helpful because of Silas. Because it's what he would do; what he is doing. Grace had no doubt in mind that Silas was sincere in wanting to help her, she just didn't understand the willingness. She had done absolutely nothing to earn their aid or even their kindness. Silas was always welcoming, and Grace was thankful for it.

It took her a minute from her thoughts to realize that Silas's eyes had moved from the forest to hers. She could tell behind his darkened forest green eyes that he, too, was trying to figure all of this out. The glow of the fire made him look younger than the twenty-year-old he actually looked like.

"What are you thinking about?" Grace asked, her voice reaching just above a whisper, "are you second guessing this whole thing?"

He half shook his head, "No, I'm thinking about what we might be walking into here. Grace, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you."

The confession caught her off guard. She had no idea he felt that way in regard to her or her life. She could see the hidden furrow in his brow, he was serious. "If I'm honest, I have the same anxiety. But I need you to know that I feel safe with you, Silas. Especially after everything we've gone through; after the bridge."

"Can I ask you something?" He uncrossed his arms and Grace nodded, "Who is Paul? You mentioned him when you slipped."

Grace didn't realize she said his name aloud on the bridge. Paul had always just been hers, and to hear someone else say his name felt wrong. She looked to her hands, picking at the dirt beneath her. "He was my best friend. I was going to tell him that night that I loved him. His scream was so terrible, I've never heard him sound like that before. It haunts my dreams and I feel so guilty. I survived and he has no idea, it's probably eating him alive. It isn't his fault."

"You still love him."

"I'll always love him, but after what I put him through, I don't deserve his love in return." She wasn't just admitting it to Silas, she was admitting it to herself and to Paul. She knew now after all that has happened that she didn't deserve him.

Silas moved, stopping himself before sighing, "It wasn't your fault, either Grace. There was nothing you could've done."

"It's okay, I know that I don't belong there. If I went back now it would all feel wrong. Loving him would feel wrong." She hummed, "Goodnight, Silas." When Grace closed her eyes, she dreamt of nothing.

Grace wakes up to Silas leaning over her, "The sun has broken through the horizon, it's time to move on."

As she collected herself, stretching awake, Silas snuffed out the already dwindling fire. They continued their journey to the kingdom, Silas leading the quiet way. Something about the confidence in his steps impressed Grace. He seemed to know exactly where he was going as if the path was laid perfectly before his feet.

The route wasn't the easiest, the terrain not exactly flat nor straight. Grace had already been flipped and turned around in her mind, having no clue where they came from or the direction they were headed. She even found herself requesting one or two breaks, Silas religiously good about allowing her a moments rest. He has asked her if she needed a slower pace, reminding her of their loose urgency.

"No, no, I'm alright." Her words were winded, but she meant it.

It was another hour of walking until they reached the outskirts of the castle, the sun disappearing and night taking over. The cobbled walls were light widely by burning torches, their light easing Grace's apprehension. Silas stopped them just before an open path beyond the walls. He slung the pack he had been carrying off his shoulders, digging into it to retrieve various bits of fabric.

He handed a bundle of cloth to Grace, "Put these on. We need to blend in. Every King is known, I'll be discovered almost instantly. You, on the other hand, have the advantage. Stay by the side, and I'll appear hobbled."

"AC had told Elderon that I was from the far north, is that were we are?" Grace asked.

"No, this is East of the Gardens. These people are not in good shape since the Great War, a lot of people died, but those who survive have essentially been left to the Barren King. We need to keep out head down."

"Wait," Grace shook her head as she pulled the clothing over her head. "If the Barren King is a horrible man, then why just leave these people to him?"

"Long ago, the five kingdoms signed and agreed upon what we call the Royal Law. Its decree forbids us from interfering unless a war is declared. The only person capable enough to wage war against Ahriman was Chandler and now he's dead." Silas tossed the bag into the woods, pulling up his cloak. "Stay close to me."

As they entered beyond the outer walls of the kingdom, Grace could see the grand, looming castle at the center of the town. Silas hunched himself over and Grace wrapped her arms around him to appear to steady him. The two walked on like this, bumping shoulders with shuffling pedestrians. Grace tried to notice everything she could about the lifestyle here in this kingdom. The kingdom her parents once ruled.

The people looked sickly, dirtied, and miserable. Children could be heard crying; coughing and wheezing was the only conversation, and everyone seemed to keep away from each other. The streets were grimy and littered with garbage. The smell was putrid. A small child watched after Grace and Silas; his eyes trained on her with a tilted head. His clothing hung loosely on body and he seemed to be starving. It took everything in her for Grace not to help in some way. Reminding herself of the reason she was there. She kept her head down, just like everyone else.

By the time they reached the castle, the streets had quieted, and the people retired to their homes. Silas made sure no one was watching as he took Grace to a secret entrance around the side of the stone. There was a backway window hidden from view unless you knew exactly where to go. Grace had almost missed it. Silas helped Grace up and through the unlatched opening, climbing up after her.

Grace followed Silas closely from room to room, checking out everything. Some things looked untouched, while others looked to be in a permanent state of disarray. They opened up a door to a room that resembled a nursery. Grace stepped in, an unfamiliar feeling creeping up over her shoulder. She allowed herself to carefully glide her fingers along a few of the objects, the feeling becoming stronger as she longed for this almost life. Everything in here was meant for her, it was all going to be hers. She was meant to have a loving mother and a living father.

Silas finally pulled her from the room, but she was reluctant to go. She knew that there was something here that they needed to find. One of these rooms held their answers somehow and it wasn't this nursery. They continued on like this, room to room each with a memory that didn't belong to her.