Chapter Four

F O U R

     Helem glides around the table, taking cups of water at a time from the pale as Althea examined some sort of weed sample. After spending the better part of the afternoon with the two healers, Grace couldn't move past the words shared between AC and herself. He spoke of the waterfall as if it were a forbidden thing, and as if her waking up there was some sort of act of treason. There was so little she knew of these people and their beliefs that Grace feared she may have unknowing desecrated some type of Holy Land. How would she know if she hadn't? Perhaps with the knowledge of where she came from, AC would consult the King and Grace would be cast out to fend for herself.

     Fear gripped her, not paying attention to the fact that Helem had left the house leaving the door wide open and Althea was waiting patiently for Grace at the frame. The softness in her voice is what pulled Grace from her daze; a quick apology before the two began the short trek to the Meal House for final meal. Althea was quick to leave Grace at the entrance, making way for Helem who already sat at the table with a cup of liquid in his hands.

     Grace felt invisible. Maybe being invisible meant she could leave and take the unknown passage to whatever village was nearby, unburden these good people and find the answers she seeks. Everyone was here, including AC and his companion - everyone save for the aforementioned King.

     Alaynah was quick in finding Grace, her smell of lavender following suit with the sweep of her ankle-length dress. Her soft hands wrapped around Grace's wrist, leading her to a chair at the head of the table before taking the seat at the opposite end beside the King's chair. Bodhin took his rightful place across from Alaynah and everyone began to eat together. With Alaynah, so far, Grace felt alone and uncomfortable. She was held under the silent gaze of a man she had yet to meet, but as soon as she took a solitaire bite of her delicious meal he took a breath of relief and continued on with his own meal.

     Meal behavior seemed almost religious, everyone acting as they did this morning with easy conversations and chirping laughter. A settle of emotions that leaned of both light and happy, but Grace paid no mind to them. The conversations floating around her couldn't penetrate the steel of her guilt ridden thoughts. It's heaviness say in the pit of her stomach as she pushes the delicious food around her plate, all of her appetite diminished by the oppressive thoughts hung up on AC.  It was like a mental prison with no escape until a figure slowly sauntered in from the darkened room that lead further into the trees structure. Like that of a magnet, Grace's attention was ripped to his presence as he took his seat at the head of the table. 

     There was no grand introduction and there was no silence to his entrance. Everyone continued on, each acknowledging him on their own time or when sentences were at a natural pause, taking their turns in silently bowing before carrying on. It was subtle and yet Grace couldn't help but feel the powerful grandeur that he seems to carry with him like a pet on his shoulder. 

     Seeing him made her heart burn and simmer within her chest and she had to will herself not to get up out of her chair to wrap her arms tightly around him and never let go. His green eyes were fearfully the same green as Paul's and his dirty blond hair curled on his head just the same. If not for the deep tan of the man before them, Grace could swear it was Paul, if not his twin. When his eyes fell to her she couldn't stop the breathy gasp that fell from her lips. Something swelled in her stomach up to her chest as if she was back under the rough currents of water. The night of the fall shooting across her mind's eye rapidly and violently, and for the first time since that night Grace felt like she was going to throw up. 

     The man next to her stood from his chair and rounded to AC who was next to the woman with thick, jet black hair that hung low to her hips, Macaria. A few words were exchanged before AC stood with a grumbled and moved to sit beside Grace. The bile rose with the weight of the stranger's gaze and the perfect opportunity to question AC without him creating a scene or storming off without getting the other's attention. But all of it was becoming too much for her to handle, all the food forcing it's way slowly back up.