Break in

You were laying in your bed, covers up to your neck and you were snoring softly. Your glasses were on the bedside table next to your mobile phone. You were peaceful and having dreams of being with your parents- them being with you and congratulating you on your life's work. You dreamt of making them proud. But the truth was - you'd never truly now if that was true.

You adjusted your position in your warm comfy bed, just as you heard something strange. You opened your eyes, blinking a few times before opening them fully, the light was bright in your room- illuminating it. You put on your glasses and glanced at the clock. 3 am. Then you heard the noise again.

You sat upright. throwing the covers off of you you slipped on a pair of shoes and snuck out into the hall way. You loved in a fairly small house in the middle of no where. Not even your friends knew where you lived. It was for protection. Your work was revolutionary. It could change everything.

You looked around the hall way, and when nothing seemed off, you considered going back to bed- but then you heard the voices. They were soft, but menacing. They were voices of men- around 4 of them. There could be more outside. You picked up the bat you put by the side of your bed and rested it on your shoulder. You had had some training on self defence,and your bat was the closest weapon you had in you. So walked out of your doorway and headed down stairs.

These men were armed. You only had a bat. But you were good. They would expect that from you- a young woman living alone who was a bit of a nerd. And that made you dangerous to them. They had underestimated you.

You snuck up one the first one, he was standing there guarding the door way. You held the bat above your head and swung it with force towards his ear. It hit him hard- knocking him over to the side,collapsing on the ground with blood dripping from the impact.

The other must have heard the noise because he turned and ran out of the room straight at you. With a swift movement, you knocked him off his feet with your leg And swung the bat- hitting him just like the last one. He was slouched against the wall, sitting a puddle of his own blood.

You ran down the stairs to your lab. As soon as you were visible to them, they charged at you. A few shots were fired but missed you. The bat was swung from right to left and then on the third man out. The forth was standing close to to you- obviously taken aback. Before you could react he pulled out a hand gun and shot. The bullet hit you in your left shoulder. You stumbled back and he took his opportunity to open your freezer. You jumped forward , ignoring the pain shooting through your left arm, and tackled the gun from his hands. You stood above him with a foot on his chest. The bat had been dropped when you were shot but you held his gun, aiming it towards his head. He begged for mercy but you showed him none. You pulled the tigger and felt his body go limp under the pressure of your foot on his chest.

You took all the test tubes and ran upstairs, hopping over the 3 other body's on your way to your car. You secured them in your boot and fasteners your seat belt. You said goodbye to the house and drove off. Unsure to what the future held for you now.

You were no longer safe.