Chapter Five

The next morning I rolled over on my pillow, slowly waking up, just as another one came down and hit me on the head.

"Wake up," said Lauren, brandishing her pillow like a maniac.

"Get lost, Lauren," I said groggily. "What are you doing!?"

Alison was up and getting dressed. "Oh, I'm so depressed," Alison lamented. "I'm not sure if Neil likes me."

I tied my shoes, and we waited for Lauren, and all three of us were out the door.

"Are you going to talk to Neil?" Lauren asked. "I mean you went out with him last night. I mean, did something happen that you're not telling us, Alison?"

"He asked me to go back to his cabin earlier in the evening," Alison said with a sigh. "I said no, and now I think he's mad at me."

"Wow," I said. "What did Neil want you to do?" Both girls gave me a look.

"Make out," said Lauren. "Maybe more."

"I'm worried he'll think I'm no good," Alison said, looking distressed, letting out a shaky sigh. "I mean, he can have any girl he wants."

"Do you find him attractive?" Lauren asked.

"Of course," said Alison.

"Then focus on that," Lauren said. "Think about how much you like him. Forget about the competition."

"Good idea, Lauren," I said. Alison agreed.

Scores of campers were also on their way to the flagpole for the morning meeting. I saw Cory walking with some other campers and noticed Dale approaching him than taking him aside. They talked for a bit, then started yelling at each other. To my absolute amazement, Cory and Dale then started wrestling on the ground. Eventually, several counselors came to break up the fight.

I approached Dale later in the dining hall at breakfast. "What happened?" I asked pointedly. I found out they were told to stay away from each other for the day and put on dishwashing duty for punishment. And that Dale had threatened Cory, warning him to stay away from Lauren.

I saw a blonde boy approach Cory and sit down beside him, and they began talking animatedly. I moved closer so I could eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Man, that was something to see," the blond boy told him. "What a fight."

"Yeah, I got accused things I didn't do. I didn't put any moves on Lauren. I just asked her out."

"What business is it of his anyway? asked the boy, who looked like a blonde version of Cory. "What's it to him?"

"Oh," said Cory. "He's just trying to make an impression. To look like a do-gooder. He's gay." The blonde boy laughed.

"Yeah, a gay who's going out with Lauren Castellano," The blonde boy remarked. "The best looking girl at camp."

"Well . . . I like Sindi," Cory said solemnly. "But I don't know if she's that into me." With a sunken heart, I noticed him glance over at Sindi, who was hanging all over another tall blonde boy.

"Yeah. Sindi seems to be really into Jeffrey Smith right now," the blonde boy said, nodding in their direction. I was thrilled to see Sindi paying attention to another guy.

"There's a girl who likes me," Cory said with a smile. I stiffened, and my heart started pumping hard in my chest. Was Cory possibly talking about me?

"Who's that?" the blonde boy asked. I slunk down in my seat.

"Lauren's friend. Same bunk." He was talking about me! Oh, my God!

"Is she pretty?"

"She's sweet and adorable," Cory replied. "I'll introduce you." Oh, my God! He glanced around, then quickly spotted me sitting at my table nearby. "Oh, she's right over there. Hey, Jenni," he greeted me. "Come over here!" I looked up at him. I was so nervous I started feeling light-headed. Was it evident that I was eavesdropping on them?