Chapter Eight

Lauren and I were playing volleyball with some other kids, and whenever the ball came toward me, I'd cower as usual. Dale called us off the field discreetly. "I've got some bad news," Dale whispered. "But it's top secret. You can't tell anyone else."

"Oh, no! What is it?" Lauren asked, looking concerned.

"Neil Atkins tried to kill himself." Lauren broke down, crying.

"I know about it, guys. I was there."

"You what? You were there?"

"Yes, and he mentioned your name."

"Oh, I feel so guilty!" she sobbed. "Maybe I should go over and talk to Neil?"

Dale stared into her eyes for a few seconds. "Yeah, I guess so. I'll wait here."

"Come on, Jenni!" Lauren sobbed.

We walked over to his cabin. Lauren knocked on Neil's door gingerly. Quickly the door swung open. Neil was standing in the doorway, damp hair and wearing a white bathrobe. "Can I come in?" she asked sweetly.

Neil nodded. She walked in timidly, and I followed her. Neil closed the door after us and turned around and faced Lauren. She looked at the floor. "Oh, Neil," she said, "I'm so sorry. I hate myself."

He pursed his lips together. His eyes were shining. "Will you forgive me?" Lauren begged.

"Oh gosh, I could never be mad at you," Neil replied, holding his arms open. Lauren walked into Neil's arms, and they hugged.

"You sure were mad at her last night," I said.

"I was pretty drunk," Neil said in his defence.

"That's no excuse," I said. "If alcohol makes you behave like that, don't drink it!"

"It wasn't just the alcohol, it was the things she said to me, too."

"So, what do you think about this camp?" Lauren asked, looking nervous.

"Don't try to dodge it, Lauren," I said.

Lauren looked awkward. "I'm like, super sorry, okay? I was confused, and taking the advice of another person on how to act toward you."

"Who?" Neil asked.

"Eek!" Lauren squealed. "I can't tell you."

"Isn't it obvious?" he smiled half-heartedly. "It was Dale Grimson."

Lauren shivered. "What if it was? What are you going to do?"

"Oh, I don't know," said Neil. "Go and shout profanities in the mall."

"That's hilarious," said Lauren. "Look, I really am sorry, Neil."

"Fair enough," said Neil. "But I'm not ready to be friends, okay?"

Lauren shook her head, frowning. "I understand."

"Um, I'm really sorry, Neil," I said. "I hope you'll be okay?"

He looked awkward then nodded. "Yes, Jenni."

I extended my hand. "I hope we can be friends from here on out? For real."

Neil shrugged and hesitantly took my hand. I shook it warmly. I left and headed out to the field.

I was walking through the field alone. Suddenly a breeze swept at me, and I felt frozen and started to shiver. Feeling heartbroken, I broke down in tears. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I jumped, startled. I whirled around to see Billy Lake standing there.