Chapter Twelve

It was Thursday, and the retreat was nearing an end. I opened my eyes and looked from side to side. On either side of me were Lauren Castellano and Alison Perry, my good friends over the last few weeks. Both girls were sleeping like babies. I was concerned for both of them right now. Alison because she'd been dumped the night before by someone she really cared for. Plus, I thought a lot of people hated her. I was concerned about Lauren because I knew there was something weird going on between her and Dale. Something happened in the woods that she wasn't telling us.

I got up, shook Alison and her beautiful amber eyes flickered open. Sometimes they appeared to glow against her tan skin and with her brunette hair color.

Lauren was up and in the shower before I could even notice.

"Good morning, Lauren," Alison whispered sleepily when Lauren came out of the shower. Promptly Alison started to cry.

"What's the matter?" Lauren asked.

"Oh, I just remembered. Neil dumped me again last night," Alison sobbed.

Lauren hugged her friend. "Forget that slug," she ordered. "The only thing Neil has going for him is appearance. He has surface value only. Remember that."

Alison wiped her eyes. "Okay. I'll do just that."

Lauren was dressed in a pale blue short set, sitting on top of her bunk. Her long blonde hair flowed down her back, thick curls tamed by top hair products. Today, a blue chrysanthemum was pinned in her hair above her ear.

I was actually curling my hair today and dressed in a yellow shorts jumpsuit.

"Oh, your hair looks so cute, Jenni," Lauren complimented me while sounding deflated.

"What's wrong, Lauren?" I wanted to know.

Alison was busy giving herself a full makeover to try and cheer herself up.

"There's something I need to get off my chest," Lauren admitted.

Alison whirled around. "Oh no!" she said.

"What is it?" I prodded.

"Well, remember yesterday when Dale and I left the beach and went for a walk?"

Alison and I both looked intrigued. "Yes?" we chimed together.

"Well," said Lauren, "We didn't just walk. Or talk. Or kiss. Or even make out."

My mouth fell open, and I raised my eyebrows. "You actually mean you guys went all the way?"

Lauren screwed up her face. "Yes! Guys, I wish it never happened!" She put her face in her hands and moaned.

"Why?" asked Alison

"I don't want to talk about it!" Lauren hollered.

"Was it horrible?" Alison asked.

"That's the problem," Lauren said. "It wasn't horrible. But I wasn't ready."

"That's what guys do," said Alison. "They trick us."

"So, you lost your virginity to him?" I asked.

"Yes, Jenni, I was a virgin."

"Oh, but I bet they didn't use protection," Alison said with a smirk.

"Alison, shut up!" Lauren sniped. She stalked out of the cabin.

Alison wanted to find where Neil was. We went looking for him and found him, standing around talking to Billy Lake and Shona Fairview.