Chapter Eleven

On Wednesday morning, it rained. I was annoyed, but at least I didn't have to worry about the heat. We all put on our raincoats and boots to go to the camp hall for breakfast.

"Hurry up, Alison!" Lauren yelled.

"There, I'm ready," said Alison after zipping up her rain jacket. When we walked out of the cabin, torrents of rain beat down against our raincoats.

"What a shitty day," Alison commented.

"You're telling me," Lauren replied.

Finally, we reached the camp hall. It was bustling with activity. We pulled our hoods down, the rain dripping off our jackets and pooling onto the wood floors. There were Wet Floor signs everywhere. The familiar sounds of chattering campers and the clink of dishes filled the air. Mealtime at Camp Pinewood.

I scanned the dining hall for Cory. I spotted him wearing a grey windbreaker and sitting at a table with Chris and a bunch of kids I didn't recognize. Momentarily, Cory's head popped up, he spotted me, and he promptly got up from his chair and rushed up to me.

"You're here! I'm so glad." He smiled at me. I was wearing the necklace he gave me. Cory looked upon it approvingly. He nodded with a look of pleasure on his face, taking hold of the pendant and holding it up to my eyes. "It's a perfect match," he said. "I knew it."

I sighed wistfully, staring into his eyes. "It's incredible," I said breathily. "How did you get it?"

"I already had it," he said incredulously, eyes wide. "My mom makes them, and I brought a few with me to possibly sell for her."

"Tell me about your mom," I said, smiling.

"She's actually in the hospital right now," said Cory. See," he said, and we sat down, "My dad's dead." He laughed. "So's my younger brother." My heart started racing. Cory seemed so calm! What would I say? "It's okay," said Cory. "I'm living with my Aunt and Uncle now, and I'm okay. I talk to my mom. I totally understand why she's messed up in the head. My dad and brother died."

"B-but, what about you?" I asked him.

"I'm coping," said Cory. "I went to therapy for treatment. I'm the type of guy who prefers to face up to reality. But when I do, I do it with respect and class. At least I try to. I think my mom is having trouble accepting reality. But that's her way of coping, I guess. She was distraught, I meant it was her husband and son. But her behavior got a bit, you know." He cringed. "She just wasn't coping at all."

I threw my arms around him. "I'm so sorry you had to go through all that," I said warmly. I kissed Cory on the top of the head. "I really care about you a lot," I said. Cory had his eyes closed, but I could see that he was smiling.

It continued to rain all day, so most of the campers did arts and crafts in the recreation hall. Some campers planned to go swimming anyway. Other campers were playing volleyball in the rain. Lauren and Alison and I were sitting in a corner under some trees, chatting with Candy and Sindi, all of us holding umbrellas, watching Cory, Dale and the other boys play volleyball. After the game, everyone coupled up. "Where's Cory?" I asked.

"I don't know," said Lauren. We went into the Games Room, and Cory saw us and got up and left. I followed him outside.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Why are you ignoring me?"

"By going outside?" he snarked.

I was confused. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," he barked.

"Cory, what's wrong?" I asked nervously.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just bored," Cory said sharply.