One

Courtney's POV:

I woke up to the sunlight shining in the windows as a rooster cooed annoyingly as it did every morning at sunrise on the farm. I closed my eyes to try to go back to sleep but heard a light knock on the door, making me sigh and put on my glasses. "What?" I said. "Get dressed, we have to get to work." I heard my dad say. "Five more minutes." I whined. "Get up now." He said before walking away. I groaned and got up and began getting ready for the day. Today was the day we were to sell produce and I always had to help.

I got dressed, did my makeup, brushed my teeth and hair then put on my shoes as my dad continued to rush me. "Give me a minute." I said. I tied my shoes quickly and ran out the door, following behind my dad as he jumped in the truck. I hopped in the back and rode along as we went to the market to set up. As we drove by, I saw a car pass us, I got confused as we pulled up to the farmers market as they did the same. I got out of the truck and started open up shop as the people got out of their car and walked up to my dad.

I watched as they talked before the very cute boy who looked around my age happened to look over at me. We locked eyes for a moment, I felt a blush forming on my face due to how cute he was so I looked away and continued working. Soon my dad gestured for me to come over so I did, walking over slowly. "Courtney this is Mr. And Mrs. Dong and their son Sicheng. Sicheng will be staying with us for a while to help pay off the debt owed for the produce." He explained.

I looked at Sicheng and smiled lightly as he did the same while my dad walked off to talk business with his parents. "Hi." He said. "Hi." I said back. The two of us stood their shyly as we tried to figure out what to say. I helped him put his bags into the truck as my dad continued to talk to his parents for a while. "So how old are you?" He said ad we sat on the back of the truck. "I'm twenty, you?" I said. "Twenty one." He said. "Where are you from?" I asked. "Wenzhou, Zhejiang, China." He stated. "I've never been there." I said.

"It's really nice there." He said. "How long have you been here?" I said. "I've been in America for about a year now." He said. No wonder he spoke in such broken english. But in my mind it only made him cuter. Before I could ask anything else, I heard my dad yell for me. We both got up and met up with our parents. "Sicheng, you will go back with them. You will start by helping them with the market today." His dad said. Sicheng didn't really seem so excited to start work, I mean I wouldn't either if I had to pay off my families debt with labor.

My dad and I walked away for a moment to finish setting things up as Sicheng's parents bid him goodbye. They walked over to me as Sicheng helped my dad. "Please take care of our son. He needs a friend." His mom said. "I will." I said. "We will check on him often. Don't let him overwork himself, he always tends to do more than asked of him. He's a good kid." His dad said. "I will make sure he is okay." I said. They patted me on the shoulder and bid me goodbye before waving by to Sicheng again. They got in their car and drove away as I walked over to join my dad and Sicheng.

"Courtney, can I talk to you for a moment?" My dad said. Sicheng got the point and walked off to unpack more boxes. "Don't get too close to him okay? He is only going to be with us for a few months to pay off the debt. Plus you don't need to get close with a worker boy anyways. He will be staying in the guest house." He said. I rolled my eyes and sighed as I walked off, ready to open the stand. The day went by as I tried not to talk to Sicheng too much but everytime my dad wasn't looking I would talk to him anyways.

He needed a friend, how could I be as unfriendly as my dad so wished for me to be. The day came to an end as it was about sundown. The three of us packed up and got into the truck, me and Sicheng decided to sit in the bed of the trunk as we didn't have a far ride to my house. My dad didn't like the idea but went along with it anyways. I talked to Sicheng the entire way to my house. We finally pulled up in the driveway and my dad got out and grabbed Sicheng's bags.

"Alright son, you'll be staying in our guest house. If you need anything, don't hesitate to come over. We are going to have dinner in about an hour." He said. Sicheng nodded and thanked him as he went to follow him to the guest house. He turned to me and waved, smiling at me as he walked away. I did the same and went in the house to get dinner started. I smiled as I cooked dinner, my dad eventually coming in with Sicheng. My dad began to set up the table, telling Sicheng to take a seat and wait as we got everything prepared. He talked to him until I got dinner ready, trying ro figure out everything he could about him.

I sat the food on the table as they both thanked me. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad? Besides the fact that my dad doesn't want me to be friends with the help.

Hey guys, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy this new book and check out my other ones.

~-winney-