Chapter Six

Hawkpaw's POV

I listened for the moans, wondering where they were coming from, I looked around as well as Ravenswirl. I looked at Ravenswirl and she didnt know, as she shook her head. "Where is that coming from?" I muttered asking no one in particular. Ravenswirl shook her head, hearing me. "I don't know, but we have to stay quiet just in case." Ravenswirl mewed in response to my question. I nodded and was quiet for the rest of the time. "Momma, where are we goin?" Dustkit asked his mother. "I don't know yet. But we are going to be heading to somewhere safe." Windheart mewed back to her son. Dustkit just nodded in response, whimpering. Windheart comforted him and quieted him down.

I felt bad for the kit considering he wasn't even five moons old yet. I sighed quietly, but obviously not quiet enough because Emberpaw came over to me. "Are you okay? What's wrong? Don't worry you can tell me!" Emberpaw asked worriedly. I rolled my eyes inwardly and nodded. "Well I just feel bad for Dustkit, and Sandkit, they aren't even five moons old yet." I finished. Emberpaw's eyes were once filled with worry to sympathy. "You're right. And with everything going on, they are probably scared out of their wits. I would be if I was still a kit. Heck! I still am scared of what might happen. Do you know what those creatures are anyway? Besides regular cats of course, but they aren't themselves." Emberpaw finish and brushed her fur against mine. I shook my head. "I dont know what they are, or what happened to them. But what I do know is that we can't make much noise, because noise and the scent of blood attracts them." I sighed quietly.

After a little while we stopped to a halt, cats were murmuring. Fear rising from their pelts, I rose to my to hind paws and saw that Ravenswirl, Littlestorm, and Astrohope were fighting those 'things'. I growled and raced forward. Before I could get any father than a bush, something grabbed my scruff and i got pulled back, I turned around and hissed, turns out it was Miststar. I apologetically dipped my head. "They obviously need help!" I mewed afterward. "You're right but we need to make sure they can be killed first." Miststar agreed with me but put in a statement l shook my head. "Yeah, maybe! But we need to help them! They are outnumbered!" I hissed and ran out of the bushes while Emberpaw, Shadowstorm, Frostflame and Rosetuft followed after. I launched myself onto one of the 'dead' cats and dug my claws into its shoulder, as far as I could. It turned its head to me as it tried to snap its jaws onto my legs, it showed no emotion as I slashed its eyes and clawed them out. My eyes widened as it still was trying to snap it's jaws at my paws. I hissed and jumped off as Littlestorm came to help me. I raked my razor sharp claws at the 'cats' face and I ripped off parts of flesh as my claws raked deeper into its rotten skin. Littlestorm bowled over the 'cat' and jumped onto it. She raked her long sharp claws into its rotten flesh and started tearing the flesh off of the cat. It didn't seem to even care that it was being torn away at. I was shocked, "How are we supposed to kill it, if it wont even die?!" I growled and launched myself at the cat again. Boulderstar was busy fighting another cat with surprisingly long claws. He struck his long claws into the cats head, into the brain, not knowing it would kill it but it did and fell limp. I was shocked, so that's how you kill them! I saw a bigger hole on his left shoulder. I narrowed my eyes as it was clean and not infected. 'How in Starclan's name is he not turned yet?! If that's what i think it is, we will be left like foxdung by the time he turns. If he got the infection out before it could spread into it's body, that's good, yes. But it's going to worry me if he starts acting strange. He needs to get it covered so it doesn't get infected again.' I was erupted out of my thoughts after I heard a yowl. I jumped and looked around me as I seen Beechfennel trying to rescue herself from being bitten, but it didn't work as she got tumbled over by the fat dead kittypet. Her stomache got chowed down into her soft belly. It tore at her flesh and pelt, pulling back stringy blood and intestines. She yowled for help before she passed out. Everyone knew we couldn't save her, so we ran. The yowls of her in pain, attracted more flesh-eaters. So we had to leave, as much as I didn't want to leave her behind and wanted to help her, I couldn't. Everyone kept forward as we raced further and further away from Beechfennel. I was filled with grief and pain, she was like a sister to me. I started crying.

It was dark by the time we trekked over the Thunderpath, most cats were hesitant, afraid that the monsters would come. But no sound of thunder ever came. Emberpaw was beside me, shaking and trembling. I handled all of this a lot better than her, that's for sure. But I understand her fear. I nuzzled her to let her know that she's safe and she then purred. 'Oh no, don't tell me I gave her the wrong idea- I don't like her like that! How would I be able to break it to her? She'll be so devastated. I like someone else though...I mean they may be from a different clan, but it might not matter now, considering we might have to join forces.'  I thought to myself. I glanced over at Robinpaw, I admired how handsome he was. He then met my gaze with soft light blue eyes. I blushed lightly and looked down at my paws.