Secrets

Adrien sat silently at the long lonely wooden table he ate at. He sighed as he picked at his gourmet food on his plate. He looked around the big dining room. A beautiful modern chandelier hung above the table, cascading just enough light to brighten the darkened, lonely room. It was very nicely decorated, but he didn't like how everything was black and white. Colorless, emotionless, empty. His home reminded him of his own self. He no longer had his mother that brought the sad house to life.

     He smiled warmly as he looked at his family picture of them all together above the fireplace. Smiles. It was his favorite family photo. The only picture that really lit up the room, just like she had before she passed away. But something always seemed off to him. He didn't really remember things from his past life. He only knew what he'd been told. His father also never told the cause of her dizzy spells. He was left with a bunch of unanswered questions. But he always set those thoughts aside. What else could he do with them? His father never talked to him since her death.

     "Hello, Adrien," His father's coworker Nathalie greeted him. He smiled as she held her tablet professionally in front of her. Nathalie was more then just a coworker to him. She was more like family. She had been there since his mother died. Even though she always acted stern, and serious. She is sensitive and caring, and he has a lot of respect towards her.

     "Hello, Nathalie. Is my father coming to join me for breakfast today by chance?" He asked with hope gleaming in his eyes.  She returned his look with a shadow  in her eyes.
"I'm afraid not Adrien. I was just here to inform you of your schedule. Your fencing lessons are right after School, and school starts in a hour. You best get ready before you go."

     Adrien sighed as he slouched in his seat. Nathalie tried to look professional, but he could see right through her. She was just as disappointed as he was. "Can you tell my father goodbye for me?" He asked her, as he stood up from the table. She only silently nodded, as he lowered his head, making his way to his room to freshen up.

~*~

    Nathalie watched as Adrien sighed up the stairs to his room. Her eyes furrowed as her heart cried out for him. Poor Adrien... If only I could tell him why. She thought to herself, as she forced herself to inform Gabriel that Adrien says his goodbyes, and finally take action with him.

     She gently knocked on his door where he worked, not wanting to disturb him. "Sir?" She called as she opened his door. She looked around the room to find him staring longingly at the picture of his wife. She felt something stab at her, but she swallowed and forced herself to say Adrien's goodbye as he wished. "Adrien wanted me to tell you goodbye for him."

     She watched as Gabriel slowly turned around, with a longing frown on his face.
"Is he heading to school?" He asked dumbly. I
"Yes sir." She answered simply. She watched as he sighed, and put his hand on Adrien's old drawings.
"If only I could speak with him- Tell him everything. Tell him the truth." Nathalie looked up, her heart pounded in her chest, hoping he finally would talk to Adrien.

     "But I can't..." He said removing his hand from the drawing. He clenched his fists, and gave Nathalie a determined look.

 "That's why I'll fix everything. I'll bring her back." He promised, caressing his butterfly miraculous. "Nuroo, dark wings rise!" He said, summoning his kwami to give him power. "Are you ready now Nathalie?"

     Nathalie nodded sternly. Gabriel had talked to her about it, and how the peacock miraculous was broken, and that it caused his wife's death. She knew the cost, but she agreed to help him. So he could wish for his wife back, and be happy again.
"I'll do anything at any cost to help you." She swore.