4

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19 2018

“Avery, you made it!” Styles greeted me at the bottom of the stairs. He held out his plastic cup to me. I emptied it without hesitation and placed it on a table next to me. I caught him smiling.

The party was bigger tonight. I heard a few people say it was someone’s birthday, I think.

“Evening, Molly.” Harry tipped his invisible top hat to her.

She replied shyly and walked away with Tyler to find a drink. I stayed behind.

“Harry, can I talk to you?”

“Follow me.” He started to climb the stairs and I was a step behind him until we reached an empty bedroom. There was a small sign on the door with his name on it. Since there was only one bed in here, I was pretty sure we wouldn’t be interrupted.

“What is it?” He suddenly seemed nervous. Harry Styles, nervous?

I pushed away the thought. I don’t know him well enough to accurately decipher his tone or expressions.

“I need to know what happened that night.”

“What night?”

“Wednesday. When you spent the night at my place.” I sighed. “Tell me everything.”

He tilted his head, a small smile playing on his lips. “Everything?”

I nodded.

He sat at the edge of his bed and patted the spot next to him, silently requesting that I join him.

“I was meeting someone at the River Room before I ran into you. You couldn’t stand straight, so I offered to take you home. I did. I made you coffee, we sat on the couch and watched the telly for half an hour, then...” He stopped.

“Harry?” I asked, looking up at him. I thought hearing the events would somehow bring the memories to the surface, but there was nothing.

“You just got up and left to your room. I followed you after a while, and then... you attacked me.”

“I did what?!”

“Not violently.” He smirked, chuckling. “I went in there to see if you were okay, and then you kissed me.”

My eyes widened in shock. I kissed him?

“It took me a second to catch my breath, but I kissed you back.”

“And then?”

He paused. “You jumped into my arms, and I put you on your bed. As soon as you tried to lift my shirt, I pulled away. I didn’t think it was right.” He turned to look at me. I couldn’t bring myself to yet. “But you asked me to stay, so I did. I didn’t wanna leave you alone while you were in a bad way.”

I didn’t believe what I was hearing. I’m never drinking again.

Wait, no, I take that back.

“Is that all? What did we talk about?”

“Not really anything in particular. You did tell me about Castro.”

I finally met his gaze.

“I’m sorry he did that to you. I doubt I know the whole story, but I know he’s a dick and that’s enough.”

I stood up, mumbling, “Thanks.”

“Hey, wait.” He grabbed my arm as I was walking out, stopping me before I reached the door. He pulled me around to face him again. “You alright?”