16

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 26 2018

“First day back. You ready?”

I was sitting on the edge of my bed with my knees tucked under my chin when Molly came into my room to see if I was awake. I hadn’t slept all night.

Harry didn’t stay the rest of the weekend. He had football practice yesterday and a long shift at the hospital on Saturday.

Speaking of, I had no idea what he worked as there. I kept forgetting to ask.

“As I’ll ever be,” I replied, sliding off my soft comforter.

I dressed in a dark red sweater with a pair of soft gray and black patterned pants. I let my hair fall naturally and put on black converse.

“Are we riding together today?” I asked Molls. “Or is your baby daddy picking you up?”

“Ew, don’t say that. It makes me sound cheap.”

I made a face. “Yes or no?”

“Yeah, we can carpool. I just need to pick out some shoes. Are you ready? Would you mind making me some coffee?” Her voice faded away as she walked back to her bedroom.

“Sure.”

She thanked me and I turned on the Keurig. She came back out as I was pouring it in her small purple thermos.

My stare lingered on Molly’s bare face. “Since when do you not wear makeup when you leave the house?”

“The last few weeks, I guess. I can get, like, an hour or more of extra sleep.” She shrugged and slung her bag over her shoulder. “The little strawberry sucks out too much of my energy already.”

“Strawberry?”

“Mm-hm!” Her smile lit up the room. “I’m ten weeks. That’s about the size of it.”

“Oh. Interesting. Compare your child to something you eat.” I handed her the coffee. “Here. Let’s go.”

“You’re such a grouch,” she asserted calmly once we got in the elevator.

“Thanks.”

She laughed.

I pulled up next to her Architectural Structures building.

“What time should I pick you up?”

“Four, at the library. Then you can take me home. I’ll drive myself to get groceries.”

“That’s my thing.”

She shook her head. “It’s mine for now. Until I’m sure you’re okay wandering around town by yourself.”

I sighed. “Okay, Mother. Have a good day.”

“Love you.”

“Love you,” I echoed.

I drove to Einstein’s, where Elijah was waiting for me. As soon as the bell on top of the door chimed, he looked up and ran to me.

“Easy, easy,” I huffed when our bodies collided.

He let go immediately, holding me at arms length. “Sorry! I’m so happy to see you.” He gestured for me to sit across from him. “How are you feeling?”

“Never better.”

“You look like a zombie,” he criticized.

I yawned. “Oh, thanks.”

“Odd for someone who slept for half a month straight.”

My eyes snapped to his.

“Too soon?”