6

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21 2018

“Molly?” I opened her bedroom door with a tray in my hand.

She stirred for a moment before squinting over at me. The bright morning sunlight crept through her thin window curtains. “Elle?”

“You hungry?” I asked, taking a few steps inside.

She scooted over, giving me room to sit and place the wooden slab on the nightstand beside her.

“You made me breakfast in bed?” she breathed, a little taken back.

“Yeah, why not?” I shrugged uncomfortably, standing back up. “I was up anyway.”

“Thank you.”

“I meant what I said. I’m here.”

She smiled lazily up at me, still tired. “I know you are.”

“I’ll be at practice for a few hours. I should be back around one. Text me if you need me to pick up anything.”

“I love you!” she called out to me while I walked toward my shoes, her mouth obviously full.

“I love you!” I yelled back, chuckling as I grabbed my duffel bag and opened the door.

The drive was calm. I wasn’t playing loud music like I always do.

My best friend was pregnant.

Whatever she chose to do, this impacted my life, too, just as much as it would if I were the pregnant one. Because she was my life, and she always would be.

I dreaded the day coming where she‘ll tell Tyler. His reaction wouldn’t be great, and she would be heartbroken. They both would be.

I loved Tyler. He’s been very good to her the past three years, and been like a brother to me.

I hoped with everything I had in me that he’d forgive her.

“Hey, you’re early.”

I turned around, the wind knocking out of me as I stared into warm honey eyes.

I nodded. “Liam. Hey.”

He set down his duffel next to mine on the bench, sitting while we waited for the rest of the team to get here.

“Do you usually get here first?” I wondered.

“Mostly. I like waking up early.”

I scrunched up my nose. “Why?”

He laughed at my expression. “I guess I’m just used to it. I’ve been playing baseball my whole life.”

I hummed, feigning polite interest. “So you plan on making it a career?”

“Absolutely. Never thought about anything else. You?”

I shrugged, taking a seat next to him with an arm draped over my bag. “I’d rather just play for fun. I’m in Computer Engineering.”

“What are you gonna do with it?”

“Hopefully start some kind of company with my brother and sister. They’re good with tech, too.”

“That’s cool.”

The silence wouldn’t be that awkward if I hadn’t found out what went down between him and Molly. And this poor guy didn’t know she was pregnant with his kid. I sighed.

“You okay?”

“Yeah. Just tired,” I lied, briefly glancing over at him and leaning my head back against the fence.