PROLOGUE

Date: Unknown
                                   Time: Unknown

                Rita and Hal marched towards their destination with urgency and a bit of trepidation. Their last mission was fruitless which would most likely attract the wrath from their boss. They weren't used to this, well, they were used to him pushing them around but not for what he had asked them to do. Honestly, it was tiring being at  someone's beck and call and, there was nothing they could do about it.

                 Hal took a glance at Rita, she had her bitch-face on which he knew was just a facade. He had worked with her long enough to master her facial expressions but unfortunately, not long enough to give a damn. He rolled his eyes, looked ahead and continued walking.

                  Their destination loomed in front of them. They both paused in front of the door. Hal once again stared at Rita. Her brown hair was in a ponytail but still, whisps of hair framed her beautiful face. Her hazel eyes stared back at him, betraying nothing. Her lips were set in a thin line. He looked her outfit over, there wasn't much to see. She wore a black leather jacket, a black t-shirt inside, black jeans and black combat boots. She folded her arms and frowned at him.

           Why he chose today of all days to study Rita like a textbook, she'll never understand. Well, if he was going to just stare at her then, she could do it too. She focused on his light brown hair which had blonde highlights. His brown eyes never left her face. He wore the same thing as she. He was attractive but, if there was one thing Rita learnt quickly it was that, romance of any kind was not for her. They both stood that way studying each other.

        It was normal for them to delay that long, to not open the door immediately, to see who could gather up enough balls to open it. Normally, they would just stare at other stuff to distract themselves. It was an 'unspoken game' between themselves. But today, they found themselves extremely interesting to look at.

                 Finally, Hal twisted the door handle. Rita let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She waited a few seconds before following Hal inside. She needed to compose herself. She couldn't take it anymore but, there was nothing she could do.

                 The both of them faced their boss as he sat on one of the couches in the office. The office was bland. There was nothing spectacular about it. It just had a large desk with a chair and grey couches. There was nothing on the desk except a mug. The walls were white and the floors were wooden. Their boss gave them a withering look.

"Took you two long enough. One would think there was traffic in the hallways." he said in a voice so cold it sent shivers down their spines. He didn't even offer them seats just to establish who exactly was in charge.

"Our apologies sir." They both said at the same time.

"I might've actually believed you were sorry but, the fact that you two do this all the time makes me wonder," he narrowed his eyes, "do the both of you go somewhere private or something?"

It took everything in Rita not to blush. Hal just replied,

"Our sincerest apologies sir, the hallway is quite long."

"Whatever then, let's get down to business shall we?" he coughed, " a little birdie told me that the both of you messed up your last mission, mind you, you obviously have a punishment waiting, but I'd like to know how badly you messed up."

The both of them shifted uncomfortably. Rita cleared her throat.

"Um sir, the thing is, we actually did follow your instructions,"

"But?"

"There was a complication."

He was growing impatient. He glared at Rita.

"Which was?" he gestured for her to keep going with his hand.

"The girl was a bit different."

He got up in annoyance and stared Rita in the eye.

"I'm not following, soldier." he ground  out.

She gulped.

"We captured the wrong girl." Hal said simply.

His gaze fell on Hal. There was an uncomfortable silence that followed - the calm before the storm.

"You did what?" he asked calmly.

"We captured the wrong girl." Hal whispered, this time.

               He turned away from them, allowing them to simmer in their terror.

"Look sir, we-" Hal began.

"Zip it."

He stood in front of one of the windows in the room which overlooked the city below. He didn't move.

"I gave you a job didn't I?"

"Y-yes s-sir and we-"

"I described the woman in detail to you both."

"Y-yes you did b-but, we couldn't get to her, she was guarded by some force   so, we 'enlisted' the help from this other girl but it didn't work. The others were nearby s and we couldn't just let her go, so we took her." Hal said.

This narration however, didn't gain any reaction from him.

"It was Rita's idea." Hal blurted out.

She glared at him.

"No it wasn't, it was your's, I sai-"

"Shut. Up. Both of you. I don't care who's idea it was. Dispose of this girl you kidnapped." he said.

"Umm, we can't." Rita said.

"Why not?"

"Because she's like us."

There was a long pause in the conversation. He turned to face them once again, this time there was a smirk on his face.

"You know, you two might've just saved yourselves," he stepped forward towards them, "I have an idea."

The two of them glanced at each other. His ideas always made them nervous. They shifted uncomfortably.

He stepped directly in front of them and his two hands shot out in front of him, grabbing their necks.

"And, if you two mess up this time, I will kill you."

They nodded frantically, while gasping for air. They both held onto each of his arms.

He let them go and sat down on his couch.

"So, let's get to it, shall we?"