Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ralph’s POV

            I close the door and let out a sigh. When she started shaking her head no, I was so close to issuing an alpha command to make her go. But then her voice, so filled with pain and hurt washed over me. Somehow I couldn’t find it in myself to make her attend this year. But she agreed to attend next year if she turned this year down.

            Walking down the stairs, I say goodbye to her parents. Driving home slowly, I let my mind wonder. She looked so different that the last time I saw her. Of course that was when Sam was alive. I had gone for a visit. I laugh as I remember seeing the two of them race past my car like streaks of lightening. It surprised me to find out that at the age of 14, both of them had shifted. That was almost unheard of in the wolf community.

            Tyler had looked so much like my mom, that I found it hard to say goodbye after staying a week. She cried like a baby when I had to go. That was the last time I saw her until after the attack. I didn’t believe Parker when he told me about her shutting herself down. I couldn’t. She had been so full of life the last time I saw her, it was hard to think of her in any other way.

            I almost didn’t recognize her when I walked into her room. If it hadn’t been for her eyes, I would have sworn that the girl that sat before me was someone else. Parking the car in the garage, I slip into the house. Hearing Daniel’s voice coming from the game room, I walk towards it. I stop just outside the door when I hear Ryland speak.

            “Dude, there is no way that Dad would like you ask that girl out. For one, we don’t know if she’s rouge or not, and second, we’re not sure if she’d want to be a part of this pack.”

            “I don’t care, Ry. I’m asking her out first thing in the morning.” I clear my throat and almost laugh at the guilty looks that cross their faces. “Ask who out Daniel?” I ask walking to the fridge. “The new girl, Tyler.” Ryland answers for him. I nod and pull out a soda. I turn and look at my sons. Then I smile. “First of all, Tyler isn’t a rouge. Second, she’s off limits to all three of you.” I hear them groan. “The reason that Tyler is off limits is because that young woman just so happens to be your cousin.”

            Their eyes widen to the size of a small pizza. “Why didn’t you tell us Dad?” Michael asks confusion in his eyes. “Because son, I was going to introduce them to the pack next week. I was giving them time to get settled in before I did that.” They nod. I turn around and walk to the door. “Oh, and boys, please keep an eye out for her at school. If anyone tries to hurt her, bring them to me, understand?”

            “Yes sir.” They reply. I nod again and head to my office. I laugh softly as the silence of the house settles on me. Sometimes I wish it was more like this. I have a feeling that Tyler’s answer will be no. I just don’t understand the reason behind her feelings that she doesn’t deserve a mate.

Dustin’s POV

            I was walking down the hall when Daniel linked me. Forgetting that I was in the hallway, I run into someone. Glancing down, I watch as the girl falls hard onto her butt. She looks up at me and I’m staring into the greenest eyes I’d ever seen. Her black hair looked like it was as soft as silk. My fingers ached to touch it.

            She suddenly looks down and starts to pick up her things. I knew I should help her, but I stood frozen to my spot. I watch her as she all but runs down the hall. She slips into Darcy’s class room. Wondering why I haven’t seen her around before, I walk to my bike and slide onto the seat. Pulling on my helmet, I race to the pack house.

            Shaking my head, I push her out of my mind. At the age of 20, I’m the youngest Beta in wolf history. Not that I’m bragging or anything. I worked hard to get this position, and I work hard to keep it. I don’t have time for girls. I could hear my wolf talking about how beautiful she was, but I blocked him out.

            I head towards the alpha’s office and know. “Come in.” Ralph calls to me, and I step in. “You asked me to come sir?”

            “I did Dustin. I need you to take a few prisoners to the Lawson territory. It seems that they’re wanted in a murder case over there. But I’ll need you back for next week. Be careful and keep your eyes open.” I nod and turn. Heading down into the basement, I pull on the candle stick on the wall. A hidden door swings open and I step through the wall.

            Heading down the passage way, I come to a stop in a room filled with silver cages. Standing in the largest cage, stood five of the ugliest rouges I’d ever seen. I glance at the gamma that was reclining on the sofa. But I knew he wasn’t asleep. You’d never catch him asleep while on duty.

            I glance away and he jumps to his feet. I link with ten more men telling them to meet me out in front of the house and to pack for a six day journey. The gamma unlocks the cell, and slowly the rouges walk out. I knew that they were thinking that they were about to die, so I smile. I could smell their fear.

            “You are to be transported back to the territory of the Lawson’s. We leave right away. If you try to escape, you will be killed. Any monkey business and you will be killed. Am I clear?” I ask, my voice sounding hard and cold.

            They nod. I turn and walk down the hall, hearing them behind me. I lead the way out of the holding area and out of the house. When we reach the group of men outside, they immediately form a ring around us and we start to run. The sooner I got this job over with, the sooner I could get back home. I hated being away from the pack any longer than four days.