Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Dustin’s POV

            The men and I were about half way to the Lawson territory when we stumbled on a small group of rouges. Seeing that we had prisoners with us, they attacked, which in turn made the prisoners decide that they wanted to attack as well. The rouges were young and no match for us. Within minutes they were dead.

            I tell the guys to get rid of the bodies as I call the alpha. Explaining what happened in detail, I told him everything. He promised that he would call Alpha Lawson and tell him. Then he ordered us home. We turn and start to make our way back to our territory.

            Several of us decided to swing back by the back trails to check on the newest members of the patrol. And to see if we could slip by undetected. If we did, that would mean that they weren’t doing their jobs.

            We’d just crossed the pack’s borders, when I was immediately hit by the most intoxicating smell I’d ever run across, pine, vanilla and strawberries. Taking a deeper breath, I look around. The scent trail was at least five hours old. Looking at the guys, I ask, “Do any of y’all smell that?”

            The TIC sniffs and looks a little puzzled. “The only thing I’m getting is pine and strawberries. And it’s very faint at that.” The others nod looking at me confused. “Y’all go on back to the pack house. I have to see what this scent belongs to.” I could have laughed at their faces if I wasn’t already trotting off in another direction.

            The scent led me deeper into the woods. Noticing that it was getting darker, I picked up my pace. The stronger the scent became, the more I could feel Hogan jumping around, pacing. Dude, what’s wrong with you?

            Mate. Our mate’s near. I can feel her.

            Are you sure?

            Yes I am. I wouldn’t joke about anything as serious as our mate idiot. He snaps at me. I laugh at him. Sorry old man. I didn’t mean anything by it. I stop just inside the tree line. Before me was a small meadow with a pond and a willow in the middle. Her scent was fresher and stronger here, but I didn’t see anyone.

            Confused, I look around. Just as I was about to turn around and leave, a girl steps out from the covering of the willow. I gasp softly at the sight of her jet black hair. It was so long and looked so soft; my fingers were itching to be buried in it. I smile and shift my weight. When I heard the twig snap, I cringe. Hoping she didn’t hear it, I watch as she whirls around and drops into a defensive stance.

            Taking a quick breath, I step out from behind the tree. I raise my hands letting her see that I meant her no harm. She slowly stands up, but I could tell that she was still wary of me. When our eyes met, I couldn’t breathe. I was staring into the greenest eyes I’d ever seen. Then it hits me. I’d seen them before. They belonged to the girl at school that I had run into. The wind changes directions from the north to the south, which is where I was standing.

            I watch as my scent hits her. Her eyes widen, and I could tell that her wolf was going nuts and letting her know I was her mate. Before I could realize what was happening, she turned around so fast and shot off like a bullet. Hogan growls and we take off after her. Our little mate is fast. Hogan purrs with pride. I laugh at him and try to pick up my pace.

            She’s faster than any alpha or beta that I know of.  Suddenly, a small two story stone house comes into view. I watch as she gracefully jumps the fence and races towards the house without stopping. I held my breath and watched surprised as she quickly scaled the side of the house before she slips into a window. She slams it shut and I hear a lock click.