Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Tyler’s POV

I spent the entire weekend thinking of Dustin. Mom would try to ask me about him, but I would just shake my head or remain quiet. I wasn’t ready to let them know that I had found my mate. I smile. I guess this means that I won’t have to go to that mate ball after all. Yes!

When Sunday night rolled around, I finally got the courage up to tell Mom and Dad about the “visit” I had from Sam. Walking to the den, I knock softly on the door. Waiting for Dad to call me in, I stare at the floor. I guess I spaced out because the office door flies open. Dad smiles when he sees me. Walking into his office, I see my mom reading on the couch.

Sitting down in Dad’s chair, I keep my eyes on my hands. “We need to talk.” I say softly. I could feel their shock in the air. I smile slowly. “Saturday when I went for a walk in the woods, I fell asleep under a willow tree. In my dream, Sam visited me. He said that the moon goddess gave him two hours to come see me every year on our birthday day. He gave me this.” I say sitting the wolf on the desk. Dad picks it up slowly and turns it around, staring at it.

“Another thing he told me was that he wanted me to tell you guys that he wants y’all to name the baby after him. That way we’d have a little piece of him with us again.” I wasn’t talking that loud, but when I finished the room was so quiet, it sounded like I was yelling.

I look up to see Dad wiping a tear from Mom’s face. “So, he was right?”

“Yes. We just didn’t know how to tell you baby girl.” Mom gets up and hugs me. “We just found out ourselves last week.” I nod slowly. Standing up, I take my wolf back and walk to the door. “Good night.”

“Good night.” I jump onto my bed and close my eyes. Dustin’s face swims around in my mind. His stormy eyes stare into mine. Curling into a ball, I try to sleep. School would come early in the morning and I needed sleep.

            I didn’t want to go to school, but I knew that Mom and Dad wouldn’t let me stay home either. Slipping into a pair of dark jeans, and white tank top and a black pearl button up shirt, I pull on a pair of boots. Grabbing my bag, I walk down the stairs and out of the house. I could hear my parents in the kitchen, but they didn’t say anything to me as I walk to my truck. Tossing my bag into the back, I jump in and slam the door.

            Heading to school, I take my time. I was going to be a little early, not that I cared anyways. Just as I was about to walk through the front doors, I caught a brief smell of Dustin’s scent. Turning around I watched as a black and red motorcycle pulled into the parking lot. Dustin slides off his bike and pulls his helmet off. When he started looking around, I knew that he was looking for me. Slipping through the doors, I made a beeline to my homeroom. Taking a seat in the back of the room, I pulled out my mp3 and slide my headphones on.

            I kept my eyes down, but I knew when my cousins walked in. Just like on Friday, they took the seats around me. I look at them and took out a note book. –What are y’all doing in here? I don’t have this class with y’all.

            Daniel takes the pen from my hand. –We got our schedule changed to match yours. After all, family has to look out for each other.  I just glare at him and he laughs. –My dad told us over the weekend. Did you think we wouldn’t find out?

            -I was kind of hoping that my uncle wouldn’t tell y’all.

            -And why is that? All three of them was looking at me now. This is just great. I didn’t want friends, and they are bound and determined to be one. Just like Dustin.

            Why do you want to leave? They love us. You know leaving our mate behind would slowly kill us. I knew that she was right, but I needed to get away from everything. The reminders that Sam wasn’t with me was almost too much for me to bear. Suddenly I felt the air around me get a little warmer and I swear it felt like someone was hugging me. I knew it was Sam letting me know he was with me.

            I smile shyly and put away my mp3. –Because I didn’t want friends. If I made friends here then when I leave after graduation, it would be harder for me to do so. They would tie me down. I could see the hurt in their eyes, but I didn’t focus on it.

            They asked and I told them the truth. But I could tell that my walls were slowly starting to crumble. Deep down in my heart, I knew that I would be spending the rest of my life here, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t fight it, right? Right. The bell rang causing the guys to face the front. I shake my head realizing that I should have chosen a seat in the front of the class. That way my escape would be faster.

Daniel’s POV

            I watch my cousin all during class. Never in my life had I ever met anyone as closed off as she is. Was she afraid of us? Is that why she didn’t want to become friends? I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I didn’t hear the bell ringing. I saw Tyler shoot out of her chair and all but run to the door. The three of us gather up our things and follow her. Getting our schedule to match hers was dad’s idea. He wanted us to keep an eye on her, to keep her safe.

            As we round the corner, we see her run into Dustin. He laughs at her and helps her stand back up. He whispers something in her ear that makes her blush. It was weird. Dustin wasn’t one to show any girl attention, ever. So what made him chose Tyler? I link with my brothers. I swear, if he hurts her, Beta or not, I’ll kill him.

            Dude, we’ll help you. We should talk to dad about it after school. I nod and we follow her to English. She didn’t know it yet, but by the end of the year, I could bet that we would be friends indeed.