Chapter 3-Verbana Bonariensis

'Behind every exquisite thing that had existed, there once was a tragedy'

"I am tired, sister. Can we go back now?" Belladonna complains again. And I ignore her again.

The girl knows how to annoy someone, I'll give her that. It's not that she's tired which I know she's not it's just she wants to go play with that Henrik boy. Ever since the two seem to hit it off at dinner last night they seem inseparable this morning. I feel good that she has a friend but she can't go off and play with him every second of the day. With father gone we have more chores which means less time to play. The sooner she realizes that the better.

"Please Calla" she whines.

I don't spare her a glance. The tips of my fingers squeeze the blueberries that are firm and ripe for picking. Gently, I pluck the berries from the green brush and place it with the others in the woven basket.

The wind stirs the warm air making it cooler and tolerable to stand to be outside. As the sun rises higher in the sky and the heat increases with it so it's good to rush through our chores now and not suffer later.

A hand is placed on my shoulder and shakes me slightly to obtain my attention. Belladonna hates to be ignored, how could I forget so easily? But my tolerance for her this morning finally snaps at her annoying behavior of whining and complaining.

My head snaps toward her so fast my blonde hair smacks me in the face. My eyes grow hard and my lips form a stern line. "Bella, enough" I command of her "You can play with Henrik later, I promise, but first we have to complete our chores" I try to act as nice as I can while giving commands but it's really no use. Commands are often voiced with a snap.

Belladonna flinches only slightly and more in surprise than anything. I rarely command her of anything and truth be told I'm more like her than I let on. I too like to fool around before doing my work-well before, during and after- but that was before father's death. We have all had to grow up since then, taking on elder roles within the household for the man of the family is no longer here to protect us. Now it's Aiden's job.

"We've been in these woods all morning. Can we take a break?" She tries again, ignoring my words I just said.

I sigh heavily, showing my annoyance for her at the moment but she must ignore that too since her face expression stays the same. "Bella-" I start to snap with a fiery look coming into my eyes but someone interrupts.

"Calla, she's a child"

My lips form a straight line and my stomach churns in annoyance. What is he even doing here, he's supposed to be with mother. I rise from my kneeling position in front of the bush and slowly turn to our older brother who stands not far off looking at me expectantly. The wooden spear in his hands is sharpened to the point and undoubtedly looks lethal. A wooden pendant in the shape of a bear wraps around the middle of the stick with animal felt. At the bear pendant, I gave him long ago I feel my scowl soften.