Chapter 14 - Monster

Song: 'Cosmic Love' by Florence and the Machine

'She didn't make us monster, we did that ourselves'

"Are you sure these will work?" Mikael looks at Esther questionably. His eyes flickering toward the rings in her hands and then back to her.

Esther sighs, sounding tired. The nights and days jumble together for her and she's exhausted. Spending the night with her family which is the only way to go outside with them and then coming back in at dawn to study more grimoires and ancient spells to hopefully one day find a way for her creations to go into the sun again. To try to live normally.

This spell she put on us was for protection, not for keeping us from doing the things we like. Most have to involve sunlight in the equation.

Hopefully Esther has gotten the spell right. We're all going a tad crazy from being indoors with each other for weeks with no escape when someone is getting on our nerves. That is mostly everyday with our heightened emotions taking over. The ones usually getting a tad rash would be me, Niklaus and Rebekah. Our tempers are just short fused. The culprits are usually Kol who lives for annoying his siblings and then Mikael who gets under my skin. Poor Elijah and Finn have to put up with us all.

"It should" Esther says shortly. "The Lapis Luzuli gemstone has the spell built in just in case. You wear these, never take them off, they should protect you from the sun even after I die."

If these rings work then we still have problems to face. The fact that the beautiful plant I love has the tendency to burn us now and weaken us. The tree that gave us immortality could also take it away which caused the men to go and burn it a couple nights ago. And the cravings are something Esther did not expect.

We are lined up watching Esther. She gives her husband a ring and he slips it on easily. The blue gem shining beautifully. Esther then walks over to us, holding her hand out for us to take one of the rings. First Finn, then Elijah, Rebekah, Niklaus. The rings dwindling until there is only one when it comes to me and Kol who are left ring less.

We both look at each other. Neither one of us wanting to take it if that means one of us are stuck in the shadows. I thought Esther was making one for all of us?

Esther looks in between us and our hesitance. She simply smiles when she notices neither of us are moving to grab it. "The ring is Kol's" she moves it closer to her son and I feel a pang of disappointment flow through me. Yes, I want Kol to walk in the sun again and for him to live normally but I also wanted that.

Kol doesn't budge. He simply looks at the ring in front of him with furrowed brows. Looking confused but I still see the want in his eyes toward it. He wants to walk in the sun just as much as I do.

"What about Calla?" Kol asks his mother. Tearing his gaze away from the ring to look up at me.

"I have something else in mind for our Calla." Esther replies coyly.

Kol still doesn't make a move to grab the ring in her hand. He stands still, looking at me with confusion and some worry even though what his mother said. It takes me moments to realize he's not going to reach for it. He doesn't want to leave me hiding in the house by myself while the others have the ability to walk outside now.

I want the best for him even though I could be stuck in here. So, I end up reaching for the ring, gaining confused looks all around. Picking it up the gem ring feels smooth in my hand with a rough metal band that engraves a design. My other hand grabs his that is beside me and he allows me to slip the ring onto his middle finger. When the ring is on him my hand wraps around his in a tight hold that I never want to let go and I look up at him, smiling. Showing him that I'll be okay. It's just a ring.