Chapter 11 - Wicked Witch

Song: 'Running up that Hill' by Placebo

'The gods will always smile on the brave women'

|Third Person Point of View|

Esther glares into the burning torch that lights the room around her and let's her see. The passed few days lay awake in the back of her mind to haunt her, reminding her that peace, what kept them docile, is broken with the loss of her son.

Henrik was so young and did nothing to deserve this. He was a boy whose curiosity got the best of him and ended his short life.

Esther feels the tears she's tried to force away come back and burn her eyes. The loss of another child has hit her harder than the last. Leaving a gaping wound that has no intention of healing anytime soon. Esther has the need to cry every moment from sunrise to sunset or until the tears run out but she can't. She has to care for the remaining five children who are alive and as well as they can be after losing a brother.

Life has to move on, Esther knows this. But it's so hard with the village of wolves surrounding her kids, her home, her haven. How will she know her children will be safe? They couldn't possibly defend themselves against the wolves, it's not fair how weak they are compared to the wolves.

Being one of the only human family in a wolf village makes Esther's goal to protect her children not only hard but impossible.

She needs help.

Suddenly a hand touches Esther's shoulder which gives her a jolt in surprise. She forgot momentarily of the two other people in the room with her. Forgot the meaning of why she was here.

Esther somehow knows what the end result will be already by just the look on her friend's face when they explained what they wanted. Not that she can blame her, what they're asking for is beyond imaginable and defies the laws of nature.

This is for my kids, Esther thinks, So they can protect themselves and never have to fear anything again.

"Please, Ayana! I implore you!" Mikael's booming voice snaps Esther out of her thoughts "You must call upon the spirits before the next full moon"

Mikael, like Esther, believes this will work. It has too. If not... what else are they to do?

The witch, Ayana, looks horrified that they would ask her over to tell her such a demise. A curse they would spread too easily that would affect many, not just their children.

"I will not! It is a crime against nature" Ayana responds harshly.

Esther finds her voice to engage in the discussion "Ayana, we have already lost too much. We can not lose anymore... The spirits can help us find a way to protect our children"

"Everything could be heightened. Our family could live forever" Mikael adds as if to strengthen their point but to Ayana, it does the exact opposite. It gives her more reason not to do the spell.