Chapter 7 - Threatened

'We do not strike unless stricken' 

Silence.

Dead silence comes over my family.

Half in pure confusion but the other is icy fear that keeps us frozen in place. Not knowing what to do with ourselves at his sudden arrival.

As he came from the bushes looking colder than ever, the birds stop singing and the insects stop buzzing. It's almost like they can sense the tension he brought with him into our air. If I was them then I'd fly far away too, not wanting to face Mikael's wrath.

I had no idea he was following us. By my family's faces, they didn't know either. We we're all too engrossed with mother's story and what she was about to tell us to notice the silent steps coming our way.

So many things in this situation doesn't sit well with me. Mikael Mikaelson hates my family. Ever since coming to the new world he has avoided us like a plague and only spoke to us if necessary but even then he's hostile. If he despises us so greatly then why seek us out? Why follow us into the secluded woods and interrupting a family affair?

It's then I notice how Mikael's eyes don't drift to mother or Aiden who stands practically in front of me. His dark, hard eyes don't flicker off me for even a second. I realize too late that he doesn't want to speak with my whole family. Oh no, he wants to speak with me.

The thought barley has time to register in my head before I lean into Aiden's side for protection. To Mikael it probably looked like an act of a weak girl cowering in the presence of the boogie man. But there's not much difference. I've never seen the boogie man but the amount of fear I have toward my friend's father seems greater. Unlike the boogie man, Mikael can come out in the day and night which is worrisome.

Monsters are supposed to stay in the dark.

  "Mikael" my eyes widen and the one word strikes me in the chest and feels like I can't breath. The silence cut in half and the sudden word that hits my ears awards a flinch. The worry rises up in my throat and I can barley swallow the bile stuck in my throat.

Not only did mother break the drawn out silence but she spat the name like vile on her tongue. Her once calm posture turns rigid and her hands clench together. Mother's joyous gleaming eyes turn into a thunderstorm of hate and anger directed at the man who interrupted her on something that looked so important to her. The flawless skin on her cheeks flush red with the amount of anger rising up in her that she tries to keep at bay.

"What are you doing here?" she seethes through clenched, sharp teeth almost looking rabid. Mother showing not a speck of fear, going to stand in front of us to block us from view. My envy of her grows with such a simple gesture.

For the first time since arriving, Mikael's gaze shifts off me and onto her. A relieved breath leaving my lips when his attention is else where so he doesn't look at me like a bug that needs to be stepped on.