Chapter 8 - Fate

So, this chapter is kind of like what happened in Salem with those being punished. I respect every religion and it is the time frame the book is set in so don't be offended.

 I respect every religion and it is the time frame the book is set in so don't be offended

'You often meet your fate on the road you take to avoid it'

Frozen.

I am frozen with fear.

The icy emotion runs through my veins causing my legs to quake and my heartbeat to be loud and fast in my ears. My heart pounding in my chest so loud that I know they can hear it and I know they will find me if it's the last thing they do.

I will my shallow pants to be silent to the point where I'm holding my breath. The air in my lungs dwindling and the burning sensation grows to where I'm about to explode.

Stay quiet, I tell myself. They won't find you if you stay hidden.

That was the biggest lie I have told myself.

Hearing someone coming I push my back harder against the bark of the tree in attempt to be smaller. My lips press together to keep a sound from escaping. A trickle of sweat rolls down my forehead to my cheek leaving a small trail.

A whimper gets stuck in my throat at the pounding footsteps, easily identifiable as a group now, coming closer to where I am. However the darkness of the night and the cover of the trees give me an advantage from them not finding me instantly. The burning light of their torches only give them minimum light and only helpful if I was feet from them.

My lungs feel like there about to explode from lack of oxygen and a ache in my head starts to form at the stress I'm putting on my body.

I don't want to die. I have so much to do, I have barley even lived. I never got to marry or have kids of my own to look after. I'm still a young girl who can't seem to get out of this darkness.

I close my eyes and pray to any god that is listening to help save me. Save me and my poor family from this inevitable fate. We have done nothing to deserve this.

Memories of what happened moments before come rushing back to me no matter how hard I try to push it away. We weren't prepared for such an ambush. The way angry men barged into our home, our sanctuary, and created chaos in such a lovely night.Expressions of my family's terrified faces and the screams of horror branded deeply into my head creating a bigger ache. No matter where we hid they found us. First Belladonna who kicked and screamed with all her might. Our little warrior was no match for them.

Then Aiden who managed to take out some of the men trying to restrain him until they truly got him in their grasp. But seeing the way they handled our Belladonna like she was nothing but filth drove him mad and I nearly thought they'd kill him on the spot.

Next was Mother who was under the kitchen table too shocked to take action until she was grabbed and pulled out from under her hiding spot. Cursing them five different ways to hell, the small women fought. She thrashed wildly like an animal caught in a trap. Most men had to restrain her and tried not to cringe at her high pitched shrill. It's when I realized that she's keeping them busy to give me time to escape. Everyone was too focused on her making it the best time to escape. I didn't want to leave but I knew I must to give them some hope.