Chapter 5 - Gods

'Be careful about what you think

'Be careful about what you think. Thoughts run your life'

A strong man named Ansel drops the flaming torch on the large pile of branches, courtesy of me and Belladonna, and it erupts in flames. The fire reaches high toward the sky much taller than everyone here and it roars to show its strength. The heat of it licks my skin and I'm further back then most villagers. The brightness of it is almost over-whelming in the dark.

Men and women of the village clap and cheer at the burning light and deep booming noises start to vibrate into my skin from the drums not far off. My eyes watch women and men dance and bask in the worshipping of their gods. Some eat first but others are too excited. A women and her son go dance around the fire, moving effortlessly like they do it everyday. They smile in joy and laugh with each other.

My family stands off to the side in the darkness watching all the villagers side-by-side. None of us have moved to join in the ritual yet. Perhaps it's the fact that we don't belong not that the others know that.

"Can we go to bed?"

Slowly mine, Aiden and Mother's head turns to Belladonna, each with the same expression on our faces.

"What?" Belladonna asks innocently.

"No" Mother answers shortly with a tab bit of bitterness in her tone but it's not directed at Belladonna or any of us. It's more toward the villagers. They are the ones that supposing wronging her. The villagers aren't really to blame but I won't dare speak such thing out loud. "If we do not attend their piety worshiping of their gods then there will be talk. Talk about our faith. In the end we will be burned or die in their own creative way."

Me and Aiden share a look of concern. We both know how mother gets when she's annoyed or straight up mad. When her temper hits a fuse she says and does stuff that she wouldn't normally say or do. So if she's bent on keeping our faith hidden we'll have better luck just going to bed like Belladonna suggested. Let the villagers talk about us all they want (it's not like they don't anyway) but we haven't done anything. They have no proof, however they don't need it if they get most of the village to believe it.

Mother has never looked so mean at the topic of faith before. Maybe because our old village was like us and practiced the same faith. Still I didn't know it mattered so much to her, I mean we barley practice it ever since father's death and even before they practically shoved it down our throats.

"What would come of us if we attended the worship of another faith?" Aiden dares speak.

"Then we will really burn" Belladonna mutters under her breath but we all still hear her anyway.

I close my eyes and sigh as I can hear mother's teeth grit. Yeah, she's not happy. When she's in her moods I know to keep my mouth shut but Aiden and Belladonna just don't know when to shut up.

"Enough" she demands "We do what we need to do to survive. Is that clear, my children?" We all look in her hard eyes and see the seriousness of this situation. Not that we didn't before but now we see how serious mother is. For that reason we all nod, not speaking a word.