Chapter Twelve

We pulled away from each other and hot dog guy cleared his throat. "Um. Your hot dog is ready."

Blake grabbed the hot dog. "Thanks, we heard you the first fifteen times. Holy shit. C'mon Jake, let's go sit."

I was kind of in a fog of holy shit Blake the snake is a good kisser that was such a good kiss why is my heart beating this fast so I just let him lead me along.

We plopped down across from each other at a picnic table and Blake glared at me. "You aren't saying anything. Why aren't you saying anything? We just kissed, Jake. That has to create some kind of reaction."

I pulled him in and kissed him again.

He gasped a little and accepted the kiss, sending shocks through my body. I curled my hand into his mess of brown hair and guided him closer, surprised at how perfect he felt against me.

He pulled away a little and smiled. "Oh. I thought you'd be mad."

I smiled a little, heart beating fast. "It was an okay kiss."

"You ass."

"...Fine. More than okay. It was..." I searched for a word that was complimentary but would've leave me looking like an idiot. "Good."

His blush came back and he leaned away. "Don't make it weird, okay? I don't usually do this kind of thing with guys. I know you totally hate me and love to make fun of me, you don't have to go all soft now that we kissed."

"Okay," I decided. "You're an idiot."

"Hey!"

"You just kissed me out on the open in front of everyone. What if someone from school is here? There's no way that you checked to make sure everyone is a stranger," I pointed out. "You should've waited until we were in your car before you started demanding kisses from me."

Blake shrugged and gave me a rebellious look. "Maybe I don't care who saw. I like you. I want people to know that."

My heart thumped a little harder and I ate my hot dog I avoid having to respond. I was way too awkward to be hearing these things.

Blake snapped in my face. "Earth to Jake? Do you have an opinion on that?"

Dammit.

I swallowed my hot dog and cleared my throat. "I think that's brave of you. Are you going to come out to the school then?"

Blake shook his head. "No, I'm not going to make some ridiculous announcement. But maybe I'll want to kiss you again, in the hallway. I'm not going to stop myself because of some homophobes."

He was awfully attractive, looking all determined. But no matter how bright his eyes shone with determination, I know I had a say.

"I'm okay with kissing in the hallway," I decided. "I'll feel a little bad for Kevin the trombonist—"

"Fuck Kevin the trombonist."

"—But if that's the way it has to be," I decided. "One thing. I know we're not dating or anything, but please don't kiss women if you're going to be kissing me. I really don't enjoy the thought of second-hand straight people kissing."

Blake looked a little surprised, but then his expression softened. He touched my hand. "I don't want to kiss anybody but you."

I sputtered. "That's not—I didn't mean... weren't we trying to make this not weird? You are awful."

He snorted. "I've never heard you stumble over your words before, dude. Sorry the truth is shocking."

"I don't care who you kiss!"

"Except women."

"Yes. ...And not Gabe either. I know you're newly embracing your gay side, and he's a gay guy at our school, but he's gross and greasy," I demanded. "I don't want to second-hand kiss him either."

Blake looked a little mischievous. "What about Kevin the trombonist?"

"He's scared of you anyway," I scoffed.

"So I can't kiss any women, any gay guys...but I can kiss the straight guys?" Blake's voice sounded teasing.

"They don't want to kiss you, moron. Why would you say that?"

Blake stared at me, amused, for a second. Then he grabbed my hand again. "Like I said before. You don't have to worry about me kissing anyone else, dude."

I decided against arguing. It wasn't that I didn't want him kissing others! I just didn't want to second-hand kiss anybody.

"Whatever," I snapped. "I take it back. Kiss all the women and gay guys you want to."

Blake took a bite of his hot dog and grinned. "How about this. I won't kiss women and gay guys if you don't kiss any other men. Deal?"

I shifted, trying to find a flaw in his logic. But I kind of liked that deal. "Fine."

"But we aren't dating?" Blake asked, taking another innocent bite.

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Okay, Jake," Blake snorted. "Well, dating or not, this was a nice date. We should probably go back now that the sun is heading down though."

I was shocked to feel a little bit of sadness now that our date was coming to a close. I actually wanted to spend more time with Blake? Weird.

I held his hand as we walked back to the car. Before he got in, I got the urge to drop an affectionate kiss onto his forehead. Not one to resist my own urges, I did it.

Blake looked at me with a surprising amount of affection. "Get down here and kiss me, tall guy."

I obeyed the shortass and kissed him against the side of the car. Maybe people were looking, but I wasn't one to care about what others thought.

I pulled away and smiled. "It wasn't unbearable being around you, snake."

Blake pinched my cheek and grinned. "I like you too, douchebag."