Unbarred

"Anguish...
It's one of those words you understand he meaning of just by the way it sounds. It has this gnarling rasp to it as you twist it your mouth around to say it... kind of like what feeling it does to your insides. It's an awful, drawn out, knotted up word,
It's also one of the things I feel without you."- Ranata Suzuki

"I promise the beginning of eternity, eternal love, trust and us simply being us."

The words showered over her like delicate petals that still seared her skin. The memory felt vivid dragging her five years back into her past. She could still taste the summer day one day after she turned twenty-one. The carefree and kindred spirit she once once. The way she opened the family vacation home door, leaning against it as the morning breeze floated through her mocha brown locks. Wisps flying into her face as she couldn't help the grin on her face. One that made her eyes tear from pain of not being able to stop, a smile she hadn't felt since.

She could still fee his heated gaze of love. The arms that caught and twirled her, before kissing all her breath away. He made her feel like a queen. Like his world revolved around her and only her. He promised her forever with a simple ring, promising to always keep her happy. He made her his wife in the cosy hours of the afternoon. The feeling of his large rough hands against the smooth silky skin of her legs seared into her mind as he peeled the satin dress off her body. The way he peppered kisses all over her body, mastering every dip, curve and inch, whilst repeatedly playing her like a broken record into the night. Their favourite song. She felt the simplicity again of the few weeks they had before the world came crashing down on them. Before her heart shattered like glass, where it could be put together yet the cracks would forever remain.

She hated it. The emotions he could still stir within her. She hated she didn't think coming home through better after disappearing for so long, giving every reason to not return. She didn't think she'd find herself here, in this position. Against her will being forced to a corporate charity event her family annually ran. Her secret of marrying her brothers best friend when she was young now out in the open as he now worked hard to regain her trust. She could still remember the mess he was as her bother beat him. Every hit felt like one that hit her, tears streamed down her face as she screamed for him to stop, the betrayal in her brothers eyes made her feel ashamed she didn't tell him sooner. But she put her foot and and he respected it, this was her problem to solve. And she felt her resolve breaking about how she hated that she still loved him, so deeply that it was hard to breath. But more than anything she hated how much time they had lost. And all because of a simple lie.

Her breathing was ragged and her hands shook as she smoothed over the satin material covering her body. The dress of her wedding day was the closest thing she had for formal that still fit. The white material sat fitted with a shimmer when it hit light. A slim tie belt wrapped around her waist cinching it in. A slit ran up her left leg up to her mid thigh, showing off more of her naturally tanned skin. The long sleeves sat a little loose and the high scoop neck kept her modest. The back however sat low, ending low to mid back. It showed the beginning of her back dimple and the simple date she had tattooed on the nape of her neck.

To dress it up even slightly she threw on a nude pair of strapped heels and a pair of tear drop diamond earrings. Her short blonde bob sat in waves, side split and framing her face. She wore little makeup, base with just mascara that elongated her fluttery lashes even more. A pink natural shade of pink lipstick coated her lips as she took a deep breath in. She could still see the brown haired shy and happy girl somewhere within her. But standing in front of the mirror she saw what she had become. A woman of sophistication and class. Who adamantly tried to make herself believe she could no longer feel. Knowing she couldn't stall any longer she grabbed the small nude clutch she was taking for the night throwing in any necessities and her phone. She would get through this.