Twenty-two

Olivia's POV:

"Over here!" Allison calls out when she sees the boys looking for us in our school's parking lot.

"Lydia," Stiles questions as he and Scott walk up to us.

"It's the same thing. Same thing as the pool. I got into the car heading somewhere totally different and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body." Lydia crosses her arms uncomfortably.

"You found a dead body?" Stiles exclaims.

"Not yet. She called us first so she wouldn't be alone." I gesture to Allison and I. "I don't blame her."

"Not yet? What do you mean 'not yet'? Lydia, you're supposed to call us after you find the dead body." Stiles said with a bit of frustration.

"Oh, no, I'm not doing that again." She retorted. "You find the dead body from now on."

"How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body." Stiles complains to the annoyed girl.

"Guys," Scott trails as he walks past us. "I found the dead body."

We follow his gaze and draped over our school sign was a dead deputy with blood horribly spilling out.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes." Ms. Blake listed off as she walked around the class during her lecture. "All tools the writer uses to tell their story."

I let out a quiet yawn and rest my head on my arm, trying my hardest to not pass out in the middle of her class.

I could feel Ms. Blake's stares in the back of my head but I didn't blame her. She probably felt guilty about what had happened to Boyd and still was trying to wrap her head around the whole supernatural issue that's been happening in Beacon Hills.

Hell, I went through the same thing.

"Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." Ms. Blake spoke up and I look behind me over to Lydia's desk and see the tree she sketched in her notebook.

Lydia shoots Ms. Blake an obvious fake smile. "You and every guy I've ever dated."

"Oh-um-well, that was an idiom, by the way." Our teacher stammered with discomfort before continuing down our aisle. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race. Or a phrase like...'seeing the whole board.'"

"Like chess." Stiles mumbled.

Ms. Blake's eyes lit up and she faced in his direction. "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"