Journey home

And the final story comes to a close, some may be continued some won't. Thank Snow for her hard work

The strings that had held the souls hung limply without their burden.

The many souls, all of which shone with the vibrant crimson of Determination, glowed in the darkness of the cloth bags they were using to carry them.

Ink frowned and counted the souls. He had to make sure they didn't miss any.

He always hated being in the Anti-Void to do this, but Error was the one meant to protect the souls, so this was where the souls had to stay until it was time.

"They're all there," Error said, sealing his own bag. "We have to hurry."

"Right," Ink responded, using Broomie to create a portal.

Moments later, the pair of skeletons landed in a beautiful forest, on a riverbank. The river flowed downstream to an enormous, thundering waterfall, which went a long, long way down.

The lush trees and thick greenery were all cast in a silver hue by the immense full moon above them, reflecting off the water in all its shining glory.

"Moon's full," Error said softly.

"I'm almost done," Ink replied solemnly, gently placing the boat he'd so carefully created into the water.

Error placed a white candle on the tiny boat, and as it struck midnight, he lit it with a strange ghostly flame.

Slowly, the tiny boat began to slip downstream, the light it bore glowing brightly.

With that, both Ink and Error released the ties on their bags.

Thousands of souls followed the boat downstream, slowly drifting higher and higher into the night sky.

"Farewell, thank you for waiting," Ink whispered after the departing souls, released back into the reincarnation cycle.

"Let's hope in another hundred years, there will be less," Error whispered.

They continued to watch in silence long after the boat and souls vanished.

"Happy Halloween, Error," Ink finally said as the sun began to rise, their silent vigil complete.

"Happy Halloween, Inky," Error said, and then Ink was alone.